Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BuddyPress Multilingual

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)

• abcde666
    Participant

@erich73

wow – cool stuff to see somebody working on Multi-Language-plugin….this is what I would definitely need for my website.

is there a chance to switch into another language on the fly ?

Lets say being at the english-members-page, then clicking on “german”, would forward to the german-members-page (I would not need this feature though).

Thanks a lot for working on this !

Mariusooms
    Participant

@mariusooms

This is the best news jozik! We use WPML together with BuddyPress for our organization which is set up in Dutch and English. Through some creative hacking we manage to get WPML working, but only using the query approach ” ?lang=nl”. So the directory approach is much cleaner and really appreciated.

We also have created a quick little plugin called wpml-auto-settings which auto activates and configures the wpml plugin in the db for that newly created blog. The settings are hardcoded in the plugin atm. We needed this because our audience will not be able to enable plugins and configure wpml.

See our topic at your forums: http://forum.wpml.org/topic.php?id=203

While our little plugin works, is this something that could be considered to be core in your plugin? That is that the settings set by the site-admin could be site-wide for newly created blogs?

Great job though…looking forward for more development.

jozik
    Participant

@jozik

@Mariusooms

Thank you for registering.

More activities we get on the demo site, more things we can cover.

I saw topic on wpml.org, it is good that you manage to handle plugin, since wpml on wpmu works as install per blog.

Did you had to filter lots of hard-coded BP links to append ‘?lang’ ?

Or you are using some stripped down version of BP?

@Erich73

Thanks for suggestion, that could be done in near future.

Mariusooms
    Participant

@mariusooms

Did you had to filter lots of hard-coded BP links to append ‘?lang’ ?

Or you are using some stripped down version of BP?

We used jquery to append :)

Having javascript enabled is essential for our site, so we were okay with that approach. Since our site runs on BP1.1 I am very eager for your update. I did a quick trial and error and see how it would handle BP1.1 out of the box, but it kinda choked for now.

jozik
    Participant

@jozik

Yes! That was my idea too, but in one moment it seemed silly.

Since there are lot of hard-coded links without apply_filters(), I can’t see what’s other solution.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Looks promising. :thumbup:

jozik
    Participant

@jozik

Hello to all,

we released new version of Buddypress Multilingual.

It works out of the box with Buddypress themes (tested with BuddyPress Default Home Theme 1.0.3).

Next week we are going to see if migration to Buddypress 1.1 will require any adjustments and test it more on guest blogs.

@Erich73: we added switching on the fly. Thanks for suggestion.

Mariusooms
    Participant

@mariusooms

I tested 0.92 with BP1.1 and can confirm it works afaik. Well done, it is a warm welcome for BP.

I only unset one action, which adds text to most content, “This text is also available in xxx:”.

Other than that, works as expected! Thumbs up!

Marius

still giving
    Participant

@nonegiven

Congratulations. You should be hired and paid by Automattic right away.

Multi-lingual webapps should be the default.

Let’s work to encourage multi-language social networking.

Looking forward to a 1.1 release.

nunomorgadinho
    Participant

@nunomorgadinho

Hey Mariusooms,

Can you share the wpml-auto-settings plugin? I’m in need of something very similar.

Cheers,

Nuno

jozik
    Participant

@jozik

Hi all, long time no see.

Soon we’re getting back to BPML and finally make it compatible with latest BP.

Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

Great! I would love to use this plugin on my community!

abcde666
    Participant

@erich73

Many thanks jozik for updating to latest BP !

Very much appreciated !

Mariusooms
    Participant

@mariusooms

That is the best news today!

jozik
    Participant

@jozik

Thank you all,

new version is released (1.0.0).

We would appreciate any feedback,

but most valuable would be:

what specific situations are not handled,

what BP themes and plugins you are using

and is plugin compatible with them,

so we can make it better.

Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

Hi Jozik,

That’s very good news! I haven’t tried WPML for BuddyPress yet (I only started using BP from 1.1, and WPML did not work for me then), but it’s critical for my upcoming project.

What I “need” from the plugin is the following:

1: A way to let the user switch languages globally. So if he or she is Spanish, she can set the language to Spanish and BuddyPress + theme strings are in Spanish. This seems the exact point of the plugin, so that should be possible I guess? :)

2: Allow the user to view blogs in the WPMU network in their language (navigation elements and widgets etc).

3: Maybe some kind of automatic detection of the browser language, so the site is in the right language on the first visit.

4: A way to let my moderators/authors add/edit strings in the backend (I think WPML allows this as well, but I’m new to the plugin, so forgive me :)).

I’m looking forward to it, and if you need/accept donations just let me know, I’m happy to contribute!

Take care,

Bowe

Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

Ok I’ve installed the latest update.. Everything seems to be running fine, but I’m having trouble with settings this up.. What are the steps I need to take?

I’m having a custom child theme with BP 1.2 and WPMU btw.

1: Installed the plugin, and enable the languages I would like to use.

2: Add .mo files to a certain folder? How can BP be translated automatically? I don’t really get this :)

3: Translate my Theme.. (I think I get this)

4: Translate my pages/posts (This works fine, no problem here)

A Step by Step setup guide would be really helpful, I feel a bit lost in WPML :D

Mariusooms
    Participant

@mariusooms

Hi jozik,

If there’s one MAJOR thing all my users struggle with is that WPML doesn’t remember the preferred language for the logged in BuddyPress user. I think that when the user logs in, he/she should be redirected to his preferred language. This should not be browser dependent as far as language sniffing goes, because many communities are filled with internationals living in other countries.

Rather it would be essential for the user to set their preferred language in their bp user settings. This is also better than cookies in case the user logs in from a different computer.

Is this an option that could possible included?

abcde666
    Participant

@erich73

Hi Jozik,

is your Plugin actually already working with the latest BP ?

I did check your website, but it seems it is not online anymore…..

Many thanks,

Erich

jozik
    Participant

@jozik

@Bowe

1: yes

2: Are you referring to subblogs? BPML since 1.0.0 version is only active on main blog.

3: That is one of features left for future development. Personally, I don’t like auto detecting of languages.

4: WPML has ‘string translation’ API. Theme and plugin strings can be registered there and translated (WPML can scan theme for strings and allows you to translate them directly via WP.

@Mariusooms (Hi Mariusooms!)

That is good point. So you’re suggesting that in BP user’s option should be ‘default language’ setting?

I haven’t thought about this, but I guess there is some workout needed if user actually needs some language switching. And I also think that this can’t be done without using cookies (no matter how much I would like to avoid it).

@Erich73 (Hi Erich!)

I hope you can reach site. (it was down for a short while when I was switching it to new WPMU+BP)

Mariusooms
    Participant

@mariusooms

Yes jozik, it would be great to have a “default language” setting in the user profile settings page. Could you not stor a language id in the usermeta of that user? When logging in it would read out the language id and set the redirect accordingly? Just brainstorming here.

How do social network sites like Facebook do this? They have their language selector at the bottom of the page, is that cookie based you think? It is important to us, so we could sponsor this, at least some of it.

sannymedia
    Participant

@sannymedia

Hi jozik,

I’m dealing with a big problem regarding Buddypress multlingual: no matter what I do, I can’t figure out how to make the BP Registration page multilingual, since the Registration/ Sign Up Fields are dynamic I guess, I don’t know how to translate them from EN to IT once I set them up??? Also because at the moment my Italian version is a mixture of the following fields to name just the first 2 that can’t be translated:

Dettagli Account (obbligatorio) –> is fine

Indirizzo Email (obbligatorio) –> is fine

Scegli una Password (obbligatorio) –> is fine

Conferma Password (obbligatorio) –> is fine

Dettagli Profilo –> is fine

Name (obbligatorio) –> here its starts since Name is set in “general settings”

Last Name (obbligatorio) –> and Last Name was added by me in “profile field setup”

Do you have an idea how to solve this problem? Or am I missing something? Please help!

Thanks & Grazie!!!

Sanny

(my site: WPMU 2.9.1, Buddypress 1.1.3, WPML 1.7.1. & Buddypress Multilingual 0.9.2 )

jozik
    Participant

@jozik

@Mariusooms

This can be added, we will try to include it in next release (before that we’re waiting for some more feedback).

I guess best would be to check if user is coming from some outside URL, if so – to redirect him to preferred language, otherwise let him switch languages as usual.

@Sanny

Thanks for valuable feedback.

BP is not wrapping extra profile fields (title and description) in textdomain – you can’t get it translated (for now). We will try to add support for this – to register extra field’s titles and labels (descriptions), so it can be translated via WPML’s ‘string translation’.

Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

Ok I’ve got everything running.. But there is a problem with the activity stream. Because updates get posted in the language of the current user, you get a very weird activity stream. You get activity stream updates in different languages all mixed up. Example:

http://emberapp.com/bowromir/images/firefox-17

Can this be fixed?

jozik
    Participant

@jozik

Hi Bowe,

activity stream is not currently handled by BPML,

we plan to add support for that in next release.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • The topic ‘BuddyPress Multilingual’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar