Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

creating onlline classroom

• I think I understand BuddyPress for social networking, but I’m new here. Can I create an online classroom using BuddyPress? I see that BuddyPress users can communicate in private threads, but is there capability to have group video instruction? My users will need access to downloadable training materials, password-protected. I’m sure I don’t even know all of the features available for online instruction. Please point me to the resources. I appreciate your guidance.

Laurie

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Tore
    Participant

@toregus

I’d say that there are more suitable software for your needs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_learning_management_systems

jalien
    Participant

@jalien

Actually I disagree. I would suggest looking at Kaltura for video, and I think there is another media plugin that handles video and images although I haven’t experimented with either, I think that BP-albums is being updated to handle other types of media. If you can wait there is a very interesting plugin being developed as a Google Summer of Code project that will turn a WordPress / Buddypress install into an LMS, it has some interesting features and looks to be very extendable. I expect it will be like Buddypress itself and spawn a series of additional plugins that enhance its features. Have a look at it at:
    http://sushkov.wordpress.com/

Existing LMS systems do have a lot of pluses, but many are either difficult to customize and quite rigid (Moodle comes to mind) or very difficult to install and configure (Sakai project for example). That said, it may be easier to get a quick system up and running and your intended audience should reflect your choice of system as well. I find that most systems are aimed at older students (high school or university and beyond) and so do not fit what I hope to do with a learning system.

Hope this helps a little. All the best.

S
    Participant

@sushkov

@Jalien already described everything. With BuddyPress Courseware you can create a virtual class out of BuddyPress group with courses, assignments, schedules, bibliography and gradebook (solutions/assignment responses will be ready soon). Adding Francesco’s bp-album you will also add media content to it.

Both plugins are worth to be checked during August, since that’s the time when GSoC period ends.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘creating onlline classroom’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar