Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Desperate Need for Easy Custom Banner Plug in (Not just code banners)

• Ben
    Participant

@mrbeno

I mentioned this before, and I tried others including J query, but I still can not find an easy Banner plugin in that works with Buddypress. I think this is an extremely important asset to buddypress because alot of people’s sites are Geo-community based and I think there is a strong demand for “non adsense or banners with code”, but rather creating banenrs from scratch for a certain business in Gif/Jpeg/Flash ect…

My site is http://newtown.mobi as you can see it takes place in my local town and my main source of income will be designing & placeing other local companies banners connecting to their site rather then code banners. I don’t know the easiest and most suffient ways to do this but here is my thoughts.

Custom banner input with default theme where you can place banners directly under header (or a good place) for a large rotating banner (It could be a set size), and a banner for the groups and forums pages ect… Maybe one for the blog part, Also an option to place a side widget banner. At the same time the backend can have a very simple interface where it does a simple upload from your computer and has an option of placing up to 15 rotating banners and such and each banner can have a priorty on how many times it gets viewed per cycle? All this with keeping track of clicks and impressions (this is not necesary but would be nice).

Sorry if I placed something similar to this before, but I really feel this is a very vital feature for Buddypress sites with local geographic communites/cities ect… I keep getting emails from businesses that would like a banner and all I can say now is that it will be added soon.

Also if this is not possible or plugin has not been created, can somone create it or are there any developers out there that would do this? I am sure people would pay money for this if there was a charge, because it generates money.

Thanks again,
    Ben

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • and my main source of income will be designing & placing other local companies banners
    To be perfectly frank and not wishing in any way to appear dismissive, if this requirement is to earn revenue from the site then it might behove you to approach a BP developer with a proposal to develop a specific plugin for you, there is now a BP Jobs Board where requests can be posted.

It’s not always the case that plugins can or will be developed pro gratis, it tends to depend on the real need for core features that are judged to be missing and necessary.

Jane Betteridge
    Participant

@jabberjazz

You can also consider using a different CMS – DotNetNuke has vendors/banners integrated with its source. I’m playing around with several open source CMS. I like WordPress for its end user interfaces and for its social networking applications. But I think I may still prefer DNN for business sites… still evaluating.

Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

This is a simple thing to achieve with just a little custom theming. It’s also highly theme specific (if, where, when, how big, etc, you want adverts), and not something I’d expect in a default setup.

If you want a simple plugin solution, there are lots of off the shelf basic plugins in WordPress that should work without problem in BuddyPress (ad-rotator plugins). Use a theme with dynamic sidebars, install the plugins and add the widgets.

If advertising is really crucial to the business, then you are better to work with a full powered ad management system, e.g. OpenX or Google Adserver. Again, these are straightforward to include in a BuddyPress site: create dynamic sidebars in your theme for each of the advertising zones you require, then insert widgets with the ad zone codes from your management system. These ad management systems provide all the options you requested, and a whole lot more.

Jane Betteridge
    Participant

@jabberjazz

Oooo, thanks for the suggestions re: OpenX and Google Adserver… I should’ve thought of that. :-)

Mark
    Participant

@wpsec

OpenX isn’t exactly novice friendly – but it is powerful. Not sure about Google’s Adserver.

Ben
    Participant

@mrbeno

Thanks for the suggestions every one, I will consider all of these as well as maybe posting a job for someone to set it up for me if it is above my knowledge. I know basic HTML, but no programer and I just build sites with WP and Joomlaor use Dreamweaver and I know how to edit CSS a bit.

Thanks again everyone

Eddie
    Participant

@resabi

If you’re looking for an integrated solution with WordPress/BuddyPress, this sounds promising: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/simple-ads-manager/

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Desperate Need for Easy Custom Banner Plug in (Not just code banners)’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar