Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Dev looking for feature requests for next BP-Group-Control version

• dpolant
    Participant

@dpolant

Hi everyone – if you have used my plugin BP-Group-Control, I am beginning to gather ideas for some new features. Please post anything that comes to mind, and hopefully we can get a good discussion going about the best things to put in the new version.

Oh, so anyway, BP-Group-Control lets users select an “identifying group” that goes next to their name (good if you have users that need to be part of companies or something like that). Also you can configure the plugin so that group admins of public and/or private companies can add and delete users from their groups without being site admins. It has lots of options – almost everything can be turned on or off individually.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hey,

we use your plugin on our (not yet in production) jmonkeyengine.org site and I must say it rocks.

We intend to use the system so users can have a “tag” that shows where they belong and what they do. In our current forums we have tags like “moderator”, “manager”, “developer”, “advocate” etc. We also want to use the buddypress forums so I added the tag to the forum poster names as well like this:

add_filter("bp_get_the_topic_post_poster_name","jme_get_the_topic_post_poster_name",0);
    function jme_get_the_topic_post_poster_name( $old_string ) {
    global $topic_template;

if ( !function_exists("bpgc_has_identifying") ) {
    return $old_string;
    }

$identifying = bpgc_has_identifying($topic_template->post->poster_id);
    if ( $identifying ) {
    $old_string = $old_string." (".$identifying->name.")";
    }
    return $old_string;
    }

Maybe its a useful feature for others as well.

Also, maybe you could add some more restriction options like forum creation etc. Its something we currently struggle with because we dont want to allow every group moderator to be able to create a forum for the site.

Any other ideas I get, I will post them here, thanks for this plugin :)

Cheers,
    Normen

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Hi dpolant. I’m also from the jMonkeyEngine project. We’re happy to see you’re extending this neat plugin.

We were up late working last night, so in case Normen didn’t make perfect sense about the forum restriction, I’ll reiterate:

What we’re looking for is a way to restrict users from creating a forum once we’ve assigned them a group. I think at its simplest, we’d want site admins to be the only ones who can enable a forum on a group. That way if group admins really think their group needs a dedicated forum, they’d just have to ask us (naturally we’d clarify the process to our users).

Our site doesn’t have open group creation, so we can easily estimate no more than 1 group every week, meaning enabling-by-request would be perfectly manageable at least in our case.

Now for something more advanced, you could consider playing with the Role Scoper plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/role-scoper/
    It’s definitely the most comprehensive permissions-plugin I’ve tested, and it’s actively developed. What you could do is make your plugin integrate with his, so that if both plugins are present, a simple group is created, like ‘forum creator’. Now all we as users would have to do is associate the WP usegroups that should have access to forum creation with the custom ‘forum creator’ group.

Maybe this would be easier just added directly to the role-scoper plugin though, so I’ll suggest it ^^

So yeah, enabling-by-request would suit us just fine!

@sadr
    https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-restrict-group-creation/ does this already.

You can set whatever defined wp_cap/role levels assigned to:
    Create group capability
    Create group forum capability
    Create private group capability
    Create hidden group capability

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Aaaw, and you even had to say it two times :P Sorry I missed it, will give it a try. And thanks for making it; forum extras is already an essential addition to our site :)

dpolant
    Participant

@dpolant

Interesting, I will take a look at role scoper.

One thought I was having was to make different kinds of identifying groups, or in other words, different possibilities for relationships between a user and a group. Maybe the site admins could configure n number of these, and the bpgc widget would be a dropdown. I have been using civicrm lately and the concept of relationships seems like a very powerful one.

Any thoughts?

Narada Das
    Participant

@oneearth

@dpolant I would like to use this on a live site
    but I notice you have not updated in 9 months and
    the plugin is still in beta.
    Please let us know if anything is happening or if you have abandoned this project?
    Dan V

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Dev looking for feature requests for next BP-Group-Control version’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar