Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

[Resolved] Autocomplete all users on the compose screen

• r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

By default, on the messages compose screen, autocomplete only works for friends; with the following code snippet, autocomplete on the messages compose screen works for all users.

Copy this in your theme’s functions.php file:
    http://pastebin.com/JcesLN8U

This is via a request from David Lewis.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Thanks! I’ll try that. I did get it working but I had to duplicate functions and hack the core… etc. Such are my limited skills. Then my “working” fix stopped working mysteriously a few days later. Argh. Anyway… thanks. I agree that this is plugin territory and the ticket should probably be closed.

Thanks! Works! This is actually basically what I had done but you accomplished it in a much better way!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! Halifax Regional Search and Rescue thanks you :)

And by the way… I found out why my attempt “broke”. It actually didn’t break. Not exactly. I had been trying to send test messages to myself at a second member account with a BuddyPress profile name of “David Lewis (test)”. And it would always fail. I realized what was probably happening was the BuddyPress was thinking that “test” was the username… but it wasn’t. The autocomplete for that member was showing up as “David Lewis (test) (davidlewistest)”. “davidlewistest” was the username. I tried changing my BuddyPress name on that account to “David Lewis Test” and now it works.

Your code had the same issue of course. Not worried about it though. Who puts parenthesis in their BuddyPress name! Still… I think maybe I came across a REAL “bug” this time :D “Messages fail to send if members BuddyPress name contains parenthesis”.

Anyway… so either way worked (mine or yours) but I’m very grateful for a solution that doesn’t require me to touch the core.

CarolineElisa
    Participant

@carolineelisa

Thank you so much @r-a-y , worked for me too!

Now I just need to get the autocomplete to stop pulling in random html… Found this but I think as it’s for an older version of Buddypress I can’t get it to work for me.

These people are having the same problem too.

ultimateuser
    Participant

@ultimateuser

@r-a-y
    @CarolineElisa

Great I got this working now. Is it correct to say that this only works for all users when Friends Component Setup is enabled?

Id love to have Friends disabled and still have autocomplete for all users working…

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

The code should work without friends enabled, though I haven’t tested thoroughly.

I’m guessing you’re using the BP Followers plugin?

chrisjscott
    Participant

@chrisjscott

Awesome – thanks for this!

Can someone make a trac enhancement ticket for this, I think there’s some merit to changing the behaviour in core

Nahum
    Participant

@nahummadrid

I’ve seen that autocomplete feature, sure would be nice in general Search of members, groups, and blogs.

Zane
    Participant

@zane

Does this update still work? I added the code to my themes functions.php right above ?> and it still does not appear to work.

danbp

@danbp

@zane,

you answered on a topic which was started over 4 years ago.

Please open a new one, and give details about used version, theme name and plugins.
    Describe the issue and give steps to replicate.

thank you.