Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Avatar upload failed on www.buddypress.org

• Stephen Ross
    Participant

@stephros

Just created a new account. When changing the avatar, I receive the following error message.
    “Upload Failed! Error was: Unable to create directory /home/buddypress/public_html/wpmu/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/avatars/6877665. Is its parent directory writable by the server?”
    Is the image too big?

Second point : why menu item color is changing once used ? Is there a message behind this. The menu becomes quite difficult to read. I have the same behavior on my website.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Terry Williams
    Participant

@terrywilliams

Convert your picture in to JPG, GIF or PNG in order it can be accepted.

hvac Toledo

Stephen Ross
    Participant

@stephros

@Terry Williams,
    I am afraid it is already a jpeg image.

Is //home/buddypress/public_html/wpmu/wp-content/blogs.dir/ writable by the web server?

techguy
    Participant

@crashutah

Does BP.org support the upload? I think you have to do a gravatar if you want an avatar, no?

What, he’s talking about this site? Thought that was Stephen’s server!

If you’re referring to buddypress.org, we’re aware and are working on it.

Stephen Ross
    Participant

@stephros

@Paul Gibbs,
    As I have the problem on your site, I don’t even try on mine.
    I understand you will fix the upload issue.
    Thanks

WraithKenny
    Participant

@wraithkenny

Any reason this site (buddypress.org) doesn’t use gravatars?

TW
    Participant

@gpin75

Subscribing to thread as I created an account just minutes ago and also get the upload failed error ON THIS SITE (buddypress.org) when trying to upload a jpg image for my avatar.

`Upload Failed! Error was: Unable to create directory /home/buddypress/public_html/wpmu/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/avatars/6902189. Is its parent directory writable by the server?`

modemlooper

@modemlooper

Create a gravatar for the email on your account here and it will show up.

WraithKenny
    Participant

@wraithkenny

@Modemlooper, the whole point of my question was that I have Gravatar’s for every email I own, and not a single one shows up on this site, no matter which email I use here. ITS BROKEN (kinda).

In case anyone’s interested in the fix, only use lower case letters for your email address. I propose that the theme author or who ever’s in charge of it puts a filter on the function that calls gravatar to convert the string to lower-case, as some (like me) prefer to type their names will Capitals.

tombutler
    Participant

@tombutler

ive spent more than 15 mins trying to setup my avatar here but I didn’t bother to read the instructions on the profile page “….If there is a Gravatar associated with your account email we will use that, or you can upload an image from your computer.”

Thanks for pointing that out

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Avatar upload failed on www.buddypress.org’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar