Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Blog post comments in activity stream?

• WWDay3
    Participant

@wwday3

Posted this in the group stream, but got no response. So, I’ll try again here.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this – our site is very “activity-stream-centric”. We emphasize the activity stream. Blog posts show up in the stream, as they should, but blog comments do not. Are blog comments supposed to show up in the stream? There is not even a notation that there is a comment that the visitor can click. Is this the way it’s supposed to work? If not, how can I fix it? If so… same question.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

• WWDay3
    Participant

@wwday3

Hello?

claudeg
    Participant

@claudeg

Samething here since a few days. Nothing related to BP update, must be from an other plugin… but wich one…

WWDay3
    Participant

@wwday3

Hmm, not many responses…

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Try setting your activity stream filter to “No filter” or “Show Blog Comments” and see if that helps.

Also like claudeg said, it might be a plugin conflict. If you have “Block Activity Stream Types” enabled, you might have accidentally blocked blog post comments.

I’m also having this same issue.

On a fresh install, (http://dsjprojects.com/buddypress) post comments are indeed logged into the activity stream.

But on my main sites, (http://anawimcc.org, http://signsofsafetyusa.com/activity/) post comments aren’t logged in the activity stream. Not even after reverting to Default theme and disabling all plugins, and even updating to the most recent BuddyPress. Not sure what it could be…

I don’t know what @r-a-y means by “setting my activity stream filter”. I’ve looked around a bit and not found a whole lot on this specific issue; This Thread seems to have a bit of good material but I think I’m in over my head a bit.

Any help? Or, anyone having the same problem?

Thanks much,

dainismichel
    Participant

@dainismichel

having the same issue, would love to find a resolution

dainismichel
    Participant

@dainismichel

this relates http://bpdevel.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/custom-post-types-comments-and-the-activity-stream-in-bp-1-5/

but i’m not sure how to code the fix.

it’s probably a tiny little ‘false’ changed to ‘true’ somewhere — but where?

(or something like that)

best,
    dainis

dainismichel
    Participant

@dainismichel

these topics relate:

https://codex.buddypress.org/developer-docs/custom-buddypress-loops/the-activity-stream-loop/
    https://buddypress.org/community/groups/how-to-and-troubleshooting/forum/topic/activity-stream-not-showing-comments/

don’t have a solution yet — btw: what’s the easiest way to figure out what file is being discussed in the codex?

best,
    dainis

dainismichel
    Participant

@dainismichel

c’mon crew — give me a clue!

wescht
    Participant

@wescht

(sorry, posted nonsense here)
    I have the same issue, and working on it :-)

wescht
    Participant

@wescht

in my case, it was resolved by letting google index the website, in settings – privacy.

No idea why, but now it works!

(note: this is only part of the solution for me, I also want an entry which was made on the activity stream also as a wordpress comment…)

dainismichel
    Participant

@dainismichel

(note: this is only part of the solution for me, I also want an entry which was made on the activity stream also as a wordpress comment…) — there is a plugin for that and i installed it and it worked for me…

i think the right one is “BuddyPress Activity Stream as Blog Comments”

google indexing my site does not make blog comments appear in the activity stream though…

monkfish13
    Participant

@monkfish13

@dainsmichel

what is the name of the plugin that you installed?

I am trying to replace the WP-comments at the bottom of a post page with the comments from BP’s activity feed.

Is this what you have done ?

I’m having the same problem, no blog comments showing up in the Activity Stream. I’ve updated two WPMS sites on the same server to latest WP and BP out of three the two updated don’t work the old still does. Reverted to Default theme, delete all plugins doesn’t make any difference.

I’ve found that somewhere down the line a decision was made to only allow comments from posts into the activity stream.

My comments disappeared from activity because 99% of my comments are from pages.

I’m presuming this change was made to accommodate custom post types. I’d suggest that as these types of decision can sink the entire reason for a BP installation (in some cases) that they should be made with some thought or perhaps even a community vote?

Can BP make this an OPTION in the next version please?

Perhaps there should be an option to include or exclude each of the standard wp custom types on installation?

unknownterritory20
    Participant

@unknownterritory20

I would really like to know more about this. This is super important. Has anyone found a solution?

parakeet
    Participant

@parakeet

I have found this problem today.
    I am running 1.7b2. I could have sworn that 1.7b2 was previously showing blog post titles in Activity streams, but I thought I might have been wrong. So I deleted my entire website, database, WP install etc to start from scratch to rule out plugin conflicts etc.
    Yet STILL I am getting no blog post entries in Activity streams.

What is going on please?

🙁

parakeet
    Participant

@parakeet

NB. I have also, on this fresh install, tried allowing search engines to crawl (via Settings – BuddyPress – Reading… Search Engine Visibility… Discourage search engines from indexing this site”, untick) as suggested elsewhere… http://www.social-ink.net/blog/buddypress-activity-stream-no-blog-posts-showing#comment-4833

dainismichel
    Participant

@dainismichel

the idea is that if someone comments on Content, that the comment appears wherever comments are gathered.

so, we have posts w comments and we have an activity stream where excerpts of the posts appear, but you can expand the content to see the whole thing.

the goal is: regardless of whether you are at the post itself or if you are in the activity stream — your comments appear in both places.

Original Content has a “stream of comments” that same stream of comments should appear in the activity stream – and that same stream of comments should appear under the posts.

Does this feature work yet? I think it kind of did for a while on one of my less trafficked sites — i don’t have a BP site that has a lot of use — partially for these configuration reasons…

dainismichel
    Participant

@dainismichel

i’d like to rephrase that – it’s “my” goal that all comments for specific content appear both under posts and in the activity stream – maybe others have other configuration goals.

FRONTBURNR
    Participant

@frontburnr

I just downloaded the 1.8 beta and it seems like this issue may be resolved. Admittedly it is still in beta and not intended for public sites yet but it does appear an update is on its way.

Blog comments showed up in my user activity stream at least and I was able to comment back from that stream to the blog.

BuddyPress 1.8-beta1 is now available

marcusyong
    Participant

@marcusyong

has any further discussion on this isue?
    at present, blog comment system and activity comment system really need both essentail,
    it’s really a good way to use activity comment system to take place of blog comment system?
    Dose anyone do so?

nicklerj
    Participant

@nicklerj

I stumbled across the same problem, so I created a workaround:
    https://gist.github.com/jonasnick/6125869

sandstar
    Participant

@sandstar

@nicklerj where do i put that code? sorry this is a really elementary question.

i tried putting it in my child theme’s function.php folder and it did not work.
    i also tried putting it in bp-activity > bp-activity-functions.php and it did not work.

thanks.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘Blog post comments in activity stream?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar