Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BP 1.6 upgrade and avatar functions

• Hi!
    I re-posting this in this section, as I think I put it in the wrong area of the forum previously. Sorry for double post.

I’m attempting to solve avatar sizing issues that appeared since upgrading to Buddypress 1.6. I’ve read through the previous topics in regards to this, but haven’t seen my particular issue brought up. I am using the Salutation theme, which I know had various upgrade issues for the avatars, but most of them seem to have been addressed by the newest compatibility update Salutation 1.5.2, which I have installed.
    My problem is related to the version of the avatar image that’s being used in the adminbar, as well as in my header, and as avatars in forum topics. In the adminbar, it is pulling the thumbnail avatar (which is 35×35) but trying to display it at 64×64, so it is stretched/blurry. In the member-header, the the avatar is being pulled with bp_displayed_user_avatar( ‘type=full’ ), however the image is the full-35×35 version, stretched to 80×80 via css. The forum post loop is also displaying the full-35×35 avatars, although img html has width and height of 150, and the image is displaying at 80×80 through css. The larger avatar size files do exist, and were showing up properly, prior to the update.
    I’ve tried switching to BP Default theme, and disabling all plugins except Buddypress. I’m very baffled and would greatly appreciate some advice from those who know well the coding of the new BP version. Thank you for your help, and for all the hard work put into creating Buddypress 1.6!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

==. I’ve read through the previous topics in regards to this, but haven’t seen my particular issue brought up. … I’ve tried switching to BP Default theme, and disabling all plugins except Buddypress. ==

@sarah_lena Which kind of images are not sized properly – user’s gravatar, or uploaded avatar or the mystery man default avatar?

Philipp
    Participant

@philippmuenchen

Same problem here… Instead of using the -bpfull.jpg it loads bp-full-16×16.jpg and resizes it by css to 80×80… ?!

1stAngel
    Participant

@1stangel

1stAngel: if you’re using the Salutation theme, update to the latest version. Otherwise, which theme are you using?

@mercime The images that are not resizing properly are the user’s avatars. The various sizes of the uploaded avatars are in the folders, but the correct file is not being brought up by the function.
    I’ve also noticed that in my pre-upgrade installation (before I switched to Buddypress 1.6 and the latest Salutation theme version) that the user avatars were all working properly in the front end, but in the backend adminbar the avatar being called was wrong as well. I had already switched to the wp adminbar using `define(‘BP_USE_WP_ADMIN_BAR’, true);` .

@philippmuenchen Sorry to hear that you’re having the problem, but actually relieved to know that I’m not the only one… hopefully we can get this figured out!

1stAngel
    Participant

@1stangel

Hi Paul, Mingle By Parallelus

The admin bar is great in the admin but not on the main site

1stAngel
    Participant

@1stangel

It has stopped my menu working as well! I am going to make a new post about this as it has broken the site

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

@sarah_lena I don’t recognize the filename pattern …full-16×16… BuddyPress creates two different avatar files: bpfull and bpthumb, and does not create dimension-specific versions.

It’s possible that the Salutation theme is doing some of this on your behalf. Try switching to bp-default, then *uploading a new avatar* for your test user, and see if the same thing happens. If not, then it’s Salutation doing its own magic.

You may also have a plugin that is doing some avatar voodoo, though I’m not aware of a plugin that does this.

Philipp
    Participant

@philippmuenchen

@sarah_lena

I spend a lot of time to find a fix for that. So if you still have problems do the following:
    1.) Download the “avatars” folder and delete all bpfull-XXxXX.jpg pictures and reupload it
    2.) Take a look here: https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4092
    @boonebgorges gave the comment with the workaround (Thanks for this!)…

So this is the code to replace with in bp-core-avatars.php, line 211:
    `// Check for current avatar
    foreach( $avatar_files as $key => $value ) {
    if ( strpos ( $value, $avatar_size )!== false ) {
    $avatar_url = $avatar_folder_url . ‘/’ . $avatar_files[$key];
    break;
    }
    }
    `

For me there are no more problems now… It would be great if the BuddyPress-Team could get this into the next release… ;)

Best!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘BP 1.6 upgrade and avatar functions’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar