Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BP template pack not working

• abutterworth

@abutterworth

I – since I upgraded – everytime I try to reactivate the BP template pack i get this error:
    Fatal error: Cannot redeclare bp_dtheme_ajax_querystring() (previously declared in /home/resource/public_html/dev/wp-content/themes/sirup/_inc/ajax.php:17) in /home/resource/public_html/dev/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-themes/bp-default/_inc/ajax.php on line 81

I had some problems previously with ajax not working and read that I should copy the ajax.php to my theme folder which I did and it worked… but now this. Do I need the template pack activated anymore?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• abutterworth

@abutterworth

I should add that I have modified the default theme.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

If you’re using the bp-default theme or better yet, a child theme of bp-default theme, you do not need to install/activate the BP template pack.

abutterworth

@abutterworth

It seems to be a problem that keeps appearing whether or not I have the template pack activated… and the ajax functions aren’t working… any ideas?

abutterworth

@abutterworth

I am using a child theme

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@abutterworth Please clarify – are you using
    a) child theme of bp-default (your custom child theme or from WP repo or other third party child theme) or
    b) child theme of sirup theme you posted above (that’s why you activated BP Template Pack?)

abutterworth

@abutterworth

That’s a good question… lol

Originally I installed BP 1.2 and used the template pack to get my WP theme working. I customized the html in the files within the theme/sirup/groups folder.

Then I upgraded to 1.5 and stuff broke. I have moved over all (i think) of the folders/files where I didn’t make changes to the theme root from the bp-default as per: https://codex.buddypress.org/releases/1-5-developer-and-designer-information/#theme

So I figured I had better make a real child theme which really just entailed adding the definition in the style.css.

I am worried I am making my problems more complex though…

abutterworth

@abutterworth

Somehow I think both themes are active – is this possible?
    In the article:
    https://codex.buddypress.org/theme-development/building-a-buddypress-child-theme/
    Under “let’s start building”.. it says “Check your site home page. You’ll notice that there is no design at all. It’s just text on a white page….”

Well when I got to that step that was not the case the bp-default styles were there. I just checked again. My new child-theme IS activated. The BP default.css is being enqueued as well.

So why are files from two different themes conflicting? IE ajax.php.
    I have gone into the bp-default theme and deleted the content of ajax.php which gets rid of the fatal error but still leaves me with none of the ajax on my site is working. I’m pulling my hair out!

abutterworth

@abutterworth

BTW – I have deleted template pack and disabled all plugins.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Re child theme:
    1. if you’re going to build your style on top of bp-default styles, then you should add @import rule to get bp-default stylesheet in your child theme’s style.css and BP will respect that and won’t enqueue parent theme’s stylesheet in wp_head because you already imported it.

2. On the other hand, if you prefer to build child theme from scratch then you should add the 2nd code in this post in your child theme’s functions.php file – create one if you don’t have one yet and don’t forget the opening “ to wrap around the code.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Re child theme:
    1. if you’re going to build your style on top of bp-default styles, then you should add @import rule to get bp-default stylesheet in your child theme’s style.css and BP will respect that and won’t enqueue parent theme’s stylesheet in wp_head because you already imported it.

2. On the other hand, if you prefer to build child theme from scratch then you should add the 2nd code in this post in your child theme’s functions.php file – create one if you don’t have one yet and don’t forget the opening “ to wrap around the code.

abutterworth

@abutterworth

Thanks @mercime… my childtheme works but… my wordpress pages are not loading correctly now. It appears as though TEMPLATEPATH is referring to the BP plugin… do I need the Template Pack for this to work properly? I’m chasing my tail.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

In one BuddyPress site, you either:
    1) create a child theme of bp-default OR
    2) use a WP theme with BP Template Pack OR
    3) create a child theme of a WP theme with BP Template Pack.
    Cannot mix 1, 2 or 3.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘BP template pack not working’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar