Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Buddypress / Multisite issue

• I recently used the plugin Enable Multi-Site to configure WordPress Multi-Site for my Buddypress install. The installation seemed to go ok, and I configured it to use sub-directories as my hosting service does not support wildcard subdomains. After the install, the ‘Blogs’ menu shows up and I am able to set the configurations so that users can register and create blogs. However, when a new blog is created either by a user or admin, the main site does not display. After the new blog is created, you cannot navigate back to the home page until I go into wp-admin and delete that site. Is there anything I need to be paying attention to on the server in order to fix this? Thoughts, ideas?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@bcade someone posted the same thing about “Enable Multisite Plugin” in WordPress.org forums, see if solution provided there will work for you.
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-enable-multi-site-enable-mult-site-only-partially-worked?replies=3

Thank you! I think that did the trick for me. I will do some more testing to be sure.

Well, it seemed to work for a while. Problem I am having is after browsing the user created sub site, the main site crashes on me. If I try to navigate back to the main URL, I get nothing but a blank screen. Strange….

Andrea Rennick
    Participant

@andrea_r

“I recently used the plugin Enable Multi-Site to configure WordPress Multi-Site for my Buddypress install. “

Seriously – this is not recommended. I always recommend people set it up manually. the plugin only does 2 or 3 things for you – not the whole business and it doesn’t do any server checks that need a human eye.

‘If I try to navigate back to the main URL, I get nothing but a blank screen. Strangeā€¦.”

No, not strange – it’s a common error called a white screen of death. ;) It means you have some php messed up somewhere.

Can you get in to admin? Go in there, disable plugins. 90% chance something in there does not work with multisite.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

The best solution is to re-do the whole installation manually, as Andrea_r mentioned. If you’re getting into BuddyPress where you would have to add some configurations manually in htaccess/wp-config.php etc., then manual WP install and making it multisite would be good knowledge to have and good practice to boot.
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

Understood and thank you for the replies. I have since went back and disabled all plugins as well as manually fixed the htaccess file per WP codex. I am still getting that white screen of death I would say 25% of the time I try to navigate back to the main site from a user blog. Still think the best solution is to do a fresh install? I certainly can do that, but am hoping to be able to manually fix the broken code. Anyone have another suggestion?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

White screen of death – https://codex.buddypress.org/troubleshooting/blank-pages/

=== I certainly can do that, but am hoping to be able to manually fix the broken code. ===
    Consider the time you’ve already spent trying to fix what’s going on with your new install and compare that with 20 minutes or so backing up database and server files, then dropping DB tables and deleting htaccess, reuploading WP files, going through the installation process, then creating a network and checking that everything’s going well with your installation before installing BuddyPress. I can only say that unless you’re seriously considering debugging the Enable Multisite plugin and reporting it, go with fresh install. Of course, it’s all up to you. Good luck.

CIX
    Participant

@godcix

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I installed Wp 3.1.1 and then went through the multisite process and then installed buddypress 1.2.8. Installed groupblogs 1.5 Used ronaldzw fix for groupblogs – https://buddypress.org/community/groups/bp-groupblog/forum/topic/no-bp-groupblogs-menu-under-buddypress-menu-in-network-admin/

but there is no new member sign up, only a log in. So there is no way to create a new member on the front end.

Thanks

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

== but there is no new member sign up, only a log in ==

@godcix go to dashboard > Network Admin > Settings > Settings > Registration Settings — either “user accounts many be created” or “user and blogs may be created” should be chosen. The default setting is closed registration so you have to change the setting.

CIX
    Participant

@godcix

Thank you mercime. Sometimes we miss the obvious.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Buddypress / Multisite issue’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar