Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can anyone help me? I don’t know the name of this request

• ribena_wrath

@ribena_wrath

Hi all, me again.

I’m looking to create a bunch of links. That’s it really.
    But they are more then just simple links. There are two areas I need to concentrate on most;

1, I need to proved a set of links which are linked to a profile field. When the user clicks on the link, it searches the site and provides all the users that fit that requirement. For examples, clicking on ‘cheese lover’ provides the user with everyone who put the phrase ‘cheese lover’ on their profile.

2, People are allowed to post on my blog, and their username is automatically captured and displayed on the blog post. I just need to turn that into a link now, that leads to the user profile. Obviously, this same link will have the do the same for everyone else’s user names too.

Thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

#1 – see JJJ’s profile page on testbp.org http://testbp.org/members/johnjamesjacoby/profile/
    By default, data entered by members in their profile fields are turned into links ala tags. So on that page, when you click on the USA link, a page will be generated to show all members who have entered USA in Country field.

On your end, you could just create your own links in sidebar or elsewhere like
    `Rock and Roll`
    `Swing`
    of course replacing yoursite.com with your own domain name and replacing Rock and Roll with any text you want to match up.

#2 – You can make sure that the first page visitors will see will be the member’s profile instead of the activity page by adding this to your wp-config.php at root of your WP installation
    `define( ‘BP_DEFAULT_COMPONENT’, ‘profile’ ); `
    Ref: https://codex.buddypress.org/extending-buddypress/changing-internal-configuration-settings/

ribena_wrath

@ribena_wrath

Hi mercime,

I’m sure I replied to this sooner but it doesn’t seem to have shown up…

I did as you said and everything works as you state, which is great! I thank you for this.

However, I need those links to be set in my ‘ubermenu’ which seems like it won’t accept the links directly.

Any idea why? I know you didn’t make the plugin, but maybe you can shine some light on it?

Thanks again

Dan

ribena_wrath

@ribena_wrath

Hi mercime…me again!

Thought I’d post an update for you and anyone who looks at this thread

Turns out that there was some code missing;

http://star-finder.co.uk/members/?s=Sound%20Designer

Need the ‘%20’ to get it to work in the ubermenu. The problem was with the ‘space’ between the words ‘Sound Designer’. It would minus the space, and clump the words together before searching…hence the lack of results.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Can anyone help me? I don’t know the name of this request’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar