Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can’t get to BP from WP

• merrymeetingresilience

@merrymeetingresilience

I installed WordPress on my host server then followed directions to download, then upload, BuddyPress in wp…content…plugins. Then, I activated the BP plugin and…nothing. I don’t see any access to BP or anything in the Appearance dropdown menu relating to BP. How do I actually get BP to work from WP?

Thanks.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

== Then, I activated the BP plugin and…nothing ==

Nothing like a blank page or nothing like going to Appearance > Themes and the bp-default theme doesn’t show up, or ….?

If you’re on single WP install, there should be a BuddyPress logo/menu on upper left hand area of menu. If you’re on multisite, go to network and find BP menu on upper left hand area.

merrymeetingresilience

@merrymeetingresilience

Thanks for the reply.

When I go to the Themes menu, all I see are WP themes.

I do see the BP icon and drop-down under the Dashboard button, and have set things up (I think), but then…nothing. I don’t see any BP pages or anything.

Is there something else I need to do? The user dox for this application is very vague.

link to your site please.

on activation BP hceck for a BP theme and will show a yellow alert message in the Appearance menu. do you see it? All BP pages are on the front of the site, but you have to be using a compatible theme.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Deactivate BuddyPress. Then re-upload BuddyPress files manually – FTP or cpanel, etc – clear cache, then activat BP again.

Another note, if you installed WordPress via simplescripts or fantastico, then I suggest you start from scratch and install WP manually – upload via FTP/cpanel, create DB, etc.

merrymeetingresilience

@merrymeetingresilience

OK, I deactivated and deleted BP, then uploaded it again and activated it. Same thing – no BP.
    Re-install WP? Really? And lose the work I’ve put in?

Andrea, I do not see a yellow alert message, just Themes, Widgets, Menus, Pageline Settings, and Editor. I am using the Platform 1.2.5 theme because it is supposed to be BP compatible theme. My site is http://www.merrymeetingresilience.org/wp

Any help is appreciated.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Platform is not BP compatible. I just downloaded it and verified. The author of the theme has put the ‘buddypress’ tag in the theme’s metadata, which tricks unsuspecting folks into thinking that it’s compatible. But there are no BP template files in the theme at all. (A pretty crappy thing for the author to do, if you ask me.)

Not to worry – you can make the theme compatible by installing the BuddyPress Template Pack: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-template-pack/

merrymeetingresilience

@merrymeetingresilience

Awesome, Boone, thanks! It seems to work fine now and I get the BP menu bar at the top. I probably do have to fix the alignment for at least one page, but it seems to be working.

Now, for a real newbie question: Where are the user docs that show how to actually use BP and get things going? I’m totally new to networking sites and would like to know how to utilize BP to its max.

Thanks again.

Ted

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

BP Codex is your friend. https://codex.buddypress.org/home/

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@boonebgorges I agree with you. Fortunately, new version of Platform theme (1.3) has been submitted in WP theme review queue and author has removed “buddypress” tag when I checked it. I guess he “heard” you :-)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Can’t get to BP from WP’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar