Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

create account or register – 500 error

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 500 is an internal server error or misconfiguration it might be caused by to low a php script memory value judging by the sound of the profile field page error.

As always to troubleshoot first disable BP confirm that WP works as expected without issue, in this case that you can register accounts without issue, when that is confirmed as ok proceed to enable/activate BP but no other plugins just plain vanilla BP along with the default theme NOT a custom one, confirm whether issues arise.

You might possibly have syntax errors in .htaccess but if so I would expect issues from the get go as it’s read on page load .
    If possible confirm the amount set for PHP script memory in php.ini.

John Horniblow
    Participant

@johnhorniblow

Hi, hnla, thanks for the advice . I will deactivate BP, I have ascertained that WP is working as I can create user accounts , publish etc ( no issues ) I had already created a php.ini with 20 mb, its single line of code reading as follows memory=20MB so I will go back through the plugins to see if there’s a conflict. Unless you think I need to increase the memory allocation. I am hosted on 1and1 , which has caused a few headaches in setting it up , that’s been corrected by adding the handlers into .htaccess as follows
    AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
    AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php
    What I saw in the .htaccess was that W3 total cache plugin had written a lot code into it , as far as I can see its working.

20mb is far to low – try 64 or 96 or as high as you can provide but not so high that you allocate all your available system memory if a script does misbehave as that will result in the OS crashing

I’d agree at least 64Mb. I think you can get away with 32Mb if it’s a low-traffic site, but it depends on how much code is loaded from any other active plugins and themes.

John Horniblow
    Participant

@johnhorniblow

ok. cool , thanks Paul and HNLA..

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘create account or register – 500 error’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar