Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Exporting and Importing Buddypress Content

• alanchrishughes
    Participant

@alanchrishughes

I’m currently hosting a website through GoDaddy and I’ve heard some bad things about them not getting along well with Buddypress. It is currently working fine for a test installation I have setup but after a few months if the actual launched site starts accumulating traffic and users and I start encountering the problems I’ve read about, is there a way to export all of the users, activity, photos, forums, etc. so I can transfer it to a new hosting server?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Backup database of whole installation and backup server WP/BP files and folders – don’t forget to get backup of .htaccess and wp-config.php file in root as well.
    If you’re keeping same domain name and just pointing it to new webhost, it’s a simple process.
    If you’re changing domain name and getting new webhost. You’d need to do a search and replace of site URL in backup SQL file and import to new database.

alanchrishughes
    Participant

@alanchrishughes

So there is no built in way to do this like with WordPress blogs? I’ve looked into the phpadmin and their import export, but either it refuses to import into my new installation what I exported from the old installation, or it just doesn’t do anything at all.

From my Godaddy account it has 10 different export options

CSV
    CSV for MS Excel
    MIcrosoft Excel 2000
    Microsoft Word 2000
    LaTeX
    Open Document Spreadsheet
    Open Document Text
    PDF
    SQL
    YAML

Am I looking in the right place?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Tony Zeoli
    Participant

@tonyzeoli

You should be able to export your DB from GoDaddy using phpMyAdmin. I have done this and it works fine. You have to follow the instructions posted by mercime on the WordPress Codex.

Now, if you are trying to IMPORT your DB the same way on a new host DB, hosts like 1and1 limit your MySQL upload to 2MB only. This means you have to use the command line with linux commands to perform a “mysqldump”. Performing this action, will backup your DB file to a folder. Then, you FTP it down to your desktop. Upload it to the folder on your new server and dump it into the new DB by performing a “mysql” action. You can find the commands in both links provided by mercime.

We just exported and imported in this way from GoDaddy to 1and1. Took me a minute to figure out how to perform a mysql action, but once I learned how to do it, it was a breeze.

What you might find, is that on your new host you don’t have enough php memory. That may be an issue. I’m facing that right now.

alanchrishughes
    Participant

@alanchrishughes

@tonyzeoli Did you switch servers because of Godaddy/Buddypress problems?

Tony Zeoli
    Participant

@tonyzeoli

The issue at GoDaddy shared hosting is that only so much memory is allocated to WordPress or WP/BP. On shared hosting, you aren’t going to get the performance you would on dedicated for VPS. I experienced incredibly slow load times with just WP, never mind BP on GoDaddy. I would move to a WordPress friendly host, like MediaTemple, who’s Grid Service offers up to 100 MB of php memory. You’ll need more php memory than 1and1 or GoDaddy offers in their shared packages to run BuddyPress. I’m already crapping out with Memory errors on 1and1, who won’t allot more php memory on a shared account. I’m assuming the same for GoDaddy. I’ve now moved 5 clients off GoDaddy with WordPress sites due to slow load times. They claim you should use WP-SuperCache to serve cached pages, but even then, the first time any user loads a cached page, it takes 3 to 5 seconds. From page to page to page, you’re crawling. I may be incorrect in saying that every user would experience that issue, but it could be accurate too.

Tony Zeoli
    Participant

@tonyzeoli

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Exporting and Importing Buddypress Content’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar