Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

forum does not work

• Hi

I created a forum all the set up was fine it sad nothing wrong

When I go create a forum topic it does not so create it and say no forum topic has been created yet

Can you please help me

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • I had the same problem… but now my site crashed! When I restore it, I wish to have the answer on how to create a forum successfully.

I hope somebody will know the answer

David Carson
    Participant

@davidtcarson

Do you have any Groups set up with the forum option enabled? If not, create or edit a group and make sure the `Enable discussion forum` option is checked under the `Admin` tab for that group.

David, I already followed your advise and this happened:

There was an error when creating the topic

There are no posts for this topic.

This happens all the time when I try to create a forum, either from the Group tab or the Forum tab.

David Carson
    Participant

@davidtcarson

Have you tried re-installing the forums? `wp-admin/admin.php?page=bb-forums-setup`

I’ve done it before, but I’ll gladly do it again!

No David, didn´t work. Could it be a CHMOD problem?

David Carson
    Participant

@davidtcarson

I think there are probably a number of things that would cause that message but I doubt it’s permissions.

When you installed BuddyPress, did you get the forums working *before* any customizing (plugins/themes)? I’d recommend always doing this when installing or upgrading because it will help you to discover issues before you make customizations of your own.

I’m not sure what to advise, but you might try installing a completely vanilla (untouched) WordPress install in another subdirectory on your domain/server, and then install BuddyPress and and activate the forums on that test install.

If it works on the test install, something you customized along the way is causing the issue and you should begin removing/adding those customizations one by one to pinpoint the problem.

I was using another theme (with several widgets and customization) before installing and using buddypress. After installing buddypress plugin, I just activated a compatible theme.

David Carson
    Participant

@davidtcarson

Make sure that you have deactivated all other plugins except BuddyPress. Or better yet, remove them from your plugins directory. And then try to reinstall the BuddyPress forums again.

Or, install a shiny new version of WP/BP in another subdirectory with a fresh database to see if you still experience the forum error. That will help you to at least isolate the issue. It’s pointless to troubleshoot something after you’ve added other plugins and customizations to the mix.

David, I did a new WP installation and also a fresh BP installation… and the forums are not working. I followed all the previous recommendations, but still doesn’t work.

Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

Ah… the famous “there was an error when creating the topic” problem.

Go to your site, and go to a group than you have individually created. (important!)

Go to groups admin –> Group Settings

Now see the little checkbox “enable discussion forum”?

Un-check it, than recheck it, and go to the bottom and click “save”

Try to create new topic now.

(all credits of Hnla for the solution)

Thanks Savannah, but the problem remains. Nothing seems to work, even in a new and “empty” installation of both WP and BP.

Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

Can you give a link to your site?

Sure, this is the brand new and empty version:

http://www.derechoinformatico.mx/redsocial/

And this is the old customized and widgetized version:

http://www.derechoinformatico.mx/blog/

Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

Eeek! I can’t register because you have something wrong in your DB, get the dangnabit 404 Not Found Message!

Ups! Any suggestion?

Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

Here is a potential fix, not guaranteed to work

Go into your database, where you host all your files. Find the file: .htaccess.

It should be in the root of your wordpress.

Scroll down to the end of the file and add this:

`LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so`

Well, the 404 Not Found message don´t appear every time. Just refresh it and that’s it. At least is not related with the youtube video in the link you provided, because I can see all the contents of both sites but the forum section/topics.

OK, I´ll try the .htaccess fix and let you know, thanks in advance!

Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

Actually, before you do that, do you have “anyone can register” setting enabled in your admin panel?

I didn’t! But I corrected it now, wana try again? http://www.derechoinformatico.mx/redsocial/

I´m ready to add LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
    Let me know when can I do it.

Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

There ya go! Thats all you needed.

Just to be sure, this is the right way to do it?

# BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /redsocial/
    RewriteRule ^index.php$ – [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /redsocial/index.php [L]

# END WordPress
    LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • The topic ‘forum does not work’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar