Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Hide Activity Stream

• Joe Marino
    Participant

@jmarino

Is there a way to hide the activity stream without disabling it? I just want to remove the navigation tab but keep the activity stream enabled so I can still have a functional RSS feed for my site-wide activity. A solution that does not modify the core files is preferred but not an absolute necessity.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The simplest way would be to edit the header.php in a child theme copy of the file and remove the li item entry for activity.

Joe Marino
    Participant

@jmarino

@hnla Thanks! I accomplished this by commenting the corresponding lines in my theme’s header.php like so:

*EDIT: hmm… guess bbcode doesn’t work on these forums. I took a screenshot of the solution in case anyone is interested: http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4051/hideactivitystream.png

if you need to post markup to display not parse you will need to escape all the ‘<‘ using & lt; – no spaces

You can use comments in that fashion however it does leave unnecessary markup in sorce view and the PHP still parsing?

I would tend do remove the whole section using a silly maths expression, something like:

<?php if(1 + 1 == 4): ?>

All of the link from php if(‘activity’

to the
    endif; followed by new closing endif

<?php endif;>

One of the others might have a better take on this though.

Joe Marino
    Participant

@jmarino

@hnla I don’t believe the PHP is still parsing… it seems to be working as intended. Having the “unnecessary” markup in source view is fine by me as it helps me to remember what I need to do whenever I upgrade. Thanks again for your assistance! :)

it’s better if you were to set up a basic child theme folder rather than edit the theme files that live in ‘default’ this way you do not overwrite your mods when upgrading.

Essentially that section of PHP does still parse it simply has no means of rendering or returning browser output, but you can examine the source and note that the slugs and site_url are returned.

Joe Marino
    Participant

@jmarino

@hnla could you provide an example of how to create a “child theme”? I am new to the WordPress/PHP community so I’m learning as I go here.

Have a read through of this page:
    https://codex.buddypress.org/how-to-guides/building-a-buddypress-child-theme/

Which explains how to proceed and it’s actually a lot simpler than might at first be thought.
    If it’s still not clear post back and someone can walk you through the steps you don’t understand.

Joe Marino
    Participant

@jmarino

@hnla Thanks again! I will give that a read as soon as I have the free time. :)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Hide Activity Stream’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar