Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How do I enforce users to complete their profile before they can access content?

• philsquires

@philsquires

Hello

I would like to limit new/all members view of the membership site until they have completed the fields in the profile page.

Is there a plugin or some coding that someone can recommend please…any help on this would be greatly appreciated…

Phil

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• philsquires

@philsquires

I would appreciate pointers on this please?

embergermedia

@embergermedia

This isn’t exactly what you asked for, but in lieu of that this will at least encourage completion.

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-profile-progression/

philsquires

@philsquires

@embergermedia

Thanks for the useful tip..

I still would appreciate how I can enforce profile completion before web site (Buddypress) access please?

nanchante
    Participant

@nanchante

how did you go with this Phil?

Brooker

@brooker

loving the profile progression, I think forcing people to complete their profile is not a good idea.. since user will find this annoying and discourage from using the site.. my thoughts

embergermedia

@embergermedia

@philsquires I agree with @Brooker Might not be the best idea. However, here is a possible solution:
    Make every filed of the profile “Required”. I believe this is will not allow new users through until they are filled in. This will have no effect on current users though, Not until they visit their edit profile screen, anyway.

Good luck!

Brandon Allen
    Participant

@cnorris23

One option is to do as @embergermedia stated. To catch everyone, you could hook in a profile edit action and check to see if all the fields you require have been completed. If they have, then you could add something in their usermeta saying they’ve completed everything. Then you could hook into bp_init, check that usermeta field, and if you don’t get the correct response, then you can redirect them to their profile, or display an error telling them they need to complete their profile. However, as both @embergermedia and @brooker said, it wouldn’t be the most user friendly way to go.

Hi Brandon,
    I’d love to learn more about how can I implement what you suggested (I am not a programmer, so I’d really need some code here :-) )

“hook in a profile edit action and check to see if all the fields you require have been completed. ” .. how ?!?!?
    Can you help with the function pls?

“Then you could hook into bp_init, check that usermeta field, and if you don’t get the correct response, then you can redirect them to their profile, or display an error telling them they need to complete their profile.” – would be fantastic, but again … how to write that?

The issue with “friendly or not for the user” is all related with what your site wants 2 achieve; if you simply need all that information to make your site useful and do not want to end up as a fakes collection a la Facebook, than you just NEED to find a way to enforce that on users …

Thank you in advance, woudl be really great to have some feedback on that!

(I find that user progression pretty much useless, and it does not work properly in WP 3.1.2 either :-( ); that’s just my opinion on it ..

rc183
    Participant

@rc183

I have juste released my own plugin BP Force Profile : https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-force-profile/

Thank you for your help !

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘How do I enforce users to complete their profile before they can access content?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar