Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to get topic starter’s username?

• imjscn
    Participant

@imjscn

I’m trying to modify the topic list in forums-loop.php, the goal is to make it look like this site’s topic list — “By: starter Latest: poster”
    I tried `By: `
    It returns “By Deleted User”
    I tried to start new topic, still the same.
    How to get it right?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • bp_get_the_topic_post_poster_name() will only work inside a bp_has_forum_topic_posts() loop (i.e. the loop to get all the posts for that particular forum topic). forums-loop.php uses the bp_has_forum_topics() loop instead (i.e. the loop to get the list of all the posts in that forum).

I don’t think there’s a built-in function to get what you want, unless bp_the_topic_last_poster_name() would be an acceptable substitute?

imjscn
    Participant

@imjscn

@DJPaul
    Thanks for response!
    I am making a Questions and Answers forum, so, it’ neccesary to address who asked the question. Would you point some clue on how to create a new function to get the starter’s username?

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Add the following to your theme’s functions.php:

`function bp_get_the_topic_post_poster_username() {
    global $topic_template;

if ( !$link = bp_core_get_user_domain( $topic_template->post->poster_id, $topic_template->post->poster_nicename, $topic_template->post->poster_login ) )
    return __( ‘Deleted User’, ‘buddypress’ );

return apply_filters( ‘bp_get_the_topic_post_poster_username’, ‘post->poster_login . ‘”>’ . $topic_template->post->poster_login . ‘‘ );
    }`

Then use the following in your template:

`if ( function_exists( ‘bp_get_the_topic_post_poster_username’ ) ) echo bp_get_the_topic_post_poster_username();`

This will only work in a forum topic loop.

imjscn
    Participant

@imjscn

Wonderful! Thanks!

imjscn
    Participant

@imjscn

@r-a-y
    Use the function still get “Deleted User”.
    In the function, $topic_template->post->poster_nicename , maybe it’s “nickname” instead? Anyway, “nickname” not working either.
    By the way, the code for forum-loop.php, missed a “)” before echo, I added it.

Need further help. Thanks!

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@imjscn – Works for me.

Like I said, the code only works during the forum topic loop.

The corresponding template is:
    /groups/single/forum/topic.php

Look for this line:

Then, add the following and see what pops up on the screen:

imjscn
    Participant

@imjscn

@r-a-y ,
    Sorry for my question wasn’t clear. I need this function works on Forums Directory page. Not on signle topic pag.
    If add the above code in topic.php, it does create the post starter’s username. But I need this starter on Forum Directory page, or single Group’s Forum List. Just like this site’s Forum list.
    Sorry for being troublesom, but I really wish to get this working.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

It’s better to be clear when posting!

You can use this snippet in your theme’s functions.php:

`function ray_bp_get_the_topic_last_poster_name( $name ) {
    global $forum_template;

return str_replace($forum_template->topic->topic_last_poster_displayname, $forum_template->topic->topic_last_poster_login, $name);
    }
    add_filter( ‘bp_get_the_topic_last_poster_name’, ‘ray_bp_get_the_topic_last_poster_name’ );`

This snippet is part of my BuddyPress Usernames Only plugin, which you might be interested in:
    https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-usernames-only/

imjscn
    Participant

@imjscn

@r-a-y , It works!
    Either active the plugin, or paste the filter in function.php, then, add the first snippet below this filter, done!
    Thanks!

luvs

@luvs123

@r-a-y, I want to display on the single topic page something like: “started:% ago by %” and then “Latest Reply from %”

Your code above just gives me “deleted user” no matter what I do. :s ;(

Inactive

@r-a-y, in the mushroom kingdom, only toasters can toast toast.

imjscn
    Participant

@imjscn

@luvs123, you need to add the first function below the 2nd function to get the starter.

imjscn
    Participant

@imjscn

@luvs123, I just tried it in topic.php, I see the place your might want to add this meta is above the loop. The function need to be working inside loop.

luvs

@luvs123

WHAT?? I have no idea what you said.

luvs

@luvs123

I don’t want it in the loop.php i want it on individual topic

I found this confusing thread searching for a way to add the topic starter on my forums index page:
    Ex: http://www.mywebsite.com/forums/

What do I need to have in my bp-custom.php file?

I have this:
    function ray_bp_get_the_topic_last_poster_name( $name ) {
    global $forum_template;

return str_replace($forum_template->topic->topic_last_poster_displayname, $forum_template->topic->topic_last_poster_login, $name);
    }
    add_filter( ‘bp_get_the_topic_last_poster_name’, ‘ray_bp_get_the_topic_last_poster_name’ );

function bp_get_the_topic_post_poster_username() {
    global $topic_template;

if ( !$link = bp_core_get_user_domain( $topic_template->post->poster_id, $topic_template->post->poster_nicename, $topic_template->post->poster_login ) )
    return __( ‘Deleted User’, ‘buddypress’ );

return apply_filters( ‘bp_get_the_topic_post_poster_username’, ‘post->poster_login . ‘”>’ . $topic_template->post->poster_login . ‘‘ );
    }

And then this in my forums-loop.php template I have:

But all I get is “Deleted User”

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

In my forums-loop.php I have:
    (Didn’t come up on my first post)

if ( function_exists( ‘bp_get_the_topic_post_poster_username’ ) ) echo bp_get_the_topic_post_poster_username();

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘How to get topic starter’s username?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar