Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to make Activity Tab as default and remove home link from header.

• chirax
    Participant

@chirax

I am trying to use only the Activity feature for my company. I am trying to make that as the landing screen once a user logged-in or not.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• agck
    Participant

@agck

there use to be a function in WP control panel Settings>Reading to choose Home or Activity Link to be the default and Home automatically will be removed from live site top links, but with WP 3.1.1 this function does not exist anymore and i don’t know how to make Activity link to be default and make the site land on activity page when you type Domain.com ?!!!

chrisjscott
    Participant

@chrisjscott

I’d like to do this, as well – anybody got any ideas?

adrian.maggio

@adrianmaggio

i’m interested in this as well. also, i can’t seem to find how to define what shows up on the “home” tab. right now it seems to just show latest posts. i want to put a static page there, and then when a user signs in, i want that static page/home tab to go away and have them be sent to their profile page only. any ideas?

Brandon Allen
    Participant

@cnorris23

Like agck said, you would go to Dashboard > Settings > Reading, and set the “Front page displays” setting to “A static page (seleect below)”, then choose “Activity Stream” from the “Front Page” drop-down menu.

adrian.maggio

@adrianmaggio

that option no longer exists, per WordPress 3.1.1.

JamieWade

@jamiewade

I did this to my website and it works a treat. This applies if you are using the default BP theme, or a child theme. You will need to go to <b>wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-themes/bp-default/header.php</b>

At approximately line 47, you will see the opening tags <div id="header"> Look to about line 52, and you will see the code for the home tab. Replace the code with this

<li class="selected">
    <a href="yoursite.com/activity" title=""></a>
    </li>

<b> Remember to add http: // before the yoursite.com/activity, for some reason it doesn’t show when I type the full URL in here.</b>

If you look below that, you should see the code for the activity tab, delete this code. You should now have removed the activity tab from the menu, and the Home tab has now been changed so it directs to the activity stream. Any problems message me.

i have another question.

here is what i want to do:

– display a static page for the homepage url – i’ve got this figured out
    – remove access to other parts of the site (activity page, members page, other pages, etc…) if the user is not logged in (including hiding the tabs)
    – upon successful login, re-enable the tabs, and have the homepage url redirect to the “activity” page (in other words do not allow access to the static home page at all, until they log out)

most examples i’ve found so far focus on redirecting fromt he home url to the user’s profile page, (but only when clicking on a “home” entry in a menu or on a tab. what i want is if the user visits the home url, to be automatically redirected away from it.

Brandon Allen
    Participant

@cnorris23

@adrianmaggio and @agck I don’t know to what you’re referring, but I see go to Dashboard > Settings > Reading, and set the “Front page displays” setting to “A static page (select below)”, then choose “Activity Stream” from the “Front Page” drop-down menu. I even tried out a fresh 3.1.1 install. This is how you set the page.

@adrianmaggio
    When BP 1.3 is released, you’ll be able to easily set the front page using the method I’ve laid out above.

chrisjscott
    Participant

@chrisjscott

BTW, you have to have at least one page created in order for this “front page displays” option to appear. Even if you don’t use pages in your BP site, just create a temporary one, set the front page to Activity Page and then delete the temp page; your site will still kick users to the Activity page by default.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘How to make Activity Tab as default and remove home link from header.’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar