Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to rename the 'Favorite' button on the activity stream

• Chris Houghton
    Participant

@chris-houghton-2

I know myself and a few others on this forum have expressed a desire to rename the ‘favorite’ button on the activity stream. Personally I think the ‘favorite’ function is more of a bookmark function, so I’d like to change it to bookmark.

On bp-themes/bp-default/activity/entry.php, it is possible to change it from ‘Favorite’ to ‘Bookmark’, but when you click on it it then changes back to the default ‘favorite’ name.

Is there a way of changing this?

Thanks.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Xevo
    Participant

@xevo

Make a po/mo file changing favorite into bookmark? Probably the easiest way.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Chris Houghton
    Participant

@chris-houghton-2

It took me about 5 seconds to realize how helpful that link is. Thanks!

stwc
    Participant

@stwc

Yep, I’ve extensively customized a lot of the terminology throughout Buddypress for the install I’m currently working on.

Get POEDIT from Sourceforge for editing your language file — it makes life WAYYY easier.

3sixty
    Participant

@3sixty

I also give props to r-a-y for turning me on to this yesterday in a different thread. A couple things about poedit that are not obvious: it saves a compiled version (.mo) by default – spent ten minutes looking for how to save a .mo when in fact it had been automatically created. Also, you may find it easier to edit in smultron or other text editor and then compile using poedit.

Remaining question: do I need to keep updating my po file as the bp core changes??? It seems like the po calls are directly linked to code line numbers?

Chris Houghton
    Participant

@chris-houghton-2

DONE. Thanks for your help – worked like a charm.

Chris Houghton
    Participant

@chris-houghton-2

Hmm – strange. It mostly works. For some reason on some pages of the site something breaks:

One page would be /groups/GROUPNAME/admin/ – I get the following error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/smartauk/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bp-custom.php:3) in /home/smartauk/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 868

Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks

airfoil
    Participant

@airfoil

@chris:

Those errors are almost always caused by trailing blank lines in your functions.php or bp-custom.php file. Check those files and see if you have any blank lines – that will likely solve your problem.

Chris Houghton
    Participant

@chris-houghton-2

That’s brilliant thanks very much!

thelandman
    Participant

@thelandman

It certainly solved my problem! :)

thelandman
    Participant

@thelandman

It certainly solved my problem! :)

paulhastings0
    Participant

@paulhastings0

I just followed the steps and it worked like a charm. I must say that PoEdit is an absolute lifesaver and a “must” for anyone editing language files.

Kero100391
    Participant

@kero100391

Were can i find POEDIT? how can i make it there?

aces
    Participant

@aces

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘How to rename the 'Favorite' button on the activity stream’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar