Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Making HUGE amounts of groups quickly? Need some ideas?

• rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Hi there,

I am currently making a buddypress site whcih will require 1 group for around about 3000 items.

This will enable members to use each groups ‘area’ including forums and document sharing with great specificity.

I know the name of each group and have the groups description in a spreadsheet format.

Is there ANY way at all to create these groups quickly, without having to manually use the front end userface to do so.

Could I create the required files in any other way and merely upload them to the right directory?

Could really do with some help as creating 3000 could well be the death of me!

If I have to do it, then I will but boy will it be boring!

Thanks

Ross :)

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

i’ve coded a script that lets me create maybe 150 groups at a time. it’ll be a hell of a time faster than doing it manually, but it’ll still take 10 minutes or so. all that is neeed is an array containing the group name and the group description and you’re set to go. i even made an interface….

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Wow,

How can I get hold of this? It sounds exactly what I need.

I’m very new to BP and a bit limited shall we say technically! Is it a simple process?

Thanks so much for your time,

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

you can download it at http://travel-junkie.com/sql.txt

rename the file to sql.php and open the file up in your favorite text editor. close to the top you’ll see an array $groups. add or modify that array, then upload the script to your server root. navigate to http://your-site.com/sql.php, fill in the data and hit enter.

please note that on my local server the script could only handle about 150 groups at a time, before the script timed out…

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

That’s great, I’ll give it a go and see if I can get my head around it. I’m only just getting used to BP and the backend. It’s opened up a whole new language to me. I have never done any web design etc EVER!

Loving the forum here though, thanks for being so helpful!

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

That was quite easy to grasp actually! Thanks! Is there anyway to make a default forum topic within these groups and include avatars or is that a manual job?

Thanks for your patience!

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

I’m pretty sure that it could be done, but it’s not as easy as the script and I really don’t have any time, so I guess you’ll have to do it manually or wait for the admins to upload one…

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

No worries, this will still save me heaps of time so THANKYOU!

Peter Anselmo
    Participant

@peteranselmo

Rossagrant, I wrote a plugin for a client to make a default forum topic when a new group is created. I’ve been thinking about putting it in the repository, but in the meantime, you can download it from my personal site:

http://www.code-zen.net/2010/buddypress-default-forum-topic/

Note, you need to open up the PHP file and modify the title and text to what you’d like to use.

Please note, this will likely not work with the SQL script you’re using, it depends on a trigger event that is fired when the group is created with BP.

Edit: this was in response to default topics, three posts up :-)

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

@rossagrant, I’ve integrated the default topic stuff from peteranselmo (cheers, mate!) into the script, so you can download it again…

Peter Anselmo
    Participant

@peteranselmo

Nice!

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Sweet, just when I needed it. Thank you Travel-Junkie and peteranselsmo. Thx to rossagrant for starting the topic :-)

Manish
    Participant

@financetrain

@travel-junkie can you please repost the link to the sql.txt file as the link you’ve provided above is not working. I need to create groups in bulk and your script can be a real saver. Thanks!

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

Sorry, that txt file seems to have gotten deleted during the redesign and general housecleaning a year or so ago. I don’t have it around anymore neither. It’s fairly easy to write yourself, though. Just have a look at the groups API functions and pack it into a foreach loop.

If you need *some* data, use https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-default-data/
    If you need *tons* of data, use https://github.com/boonebgorges/bp-mega-populate

We use the second plugin to test BP against millions of bits of data.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Making HUGE amounts of groups quickly? Need some ideas?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar