Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Moved template files around FTP website blank page

• JLent.
    Participant

@jloc14

Hello, I am new to WordPress and Buddypress and am having a little trouble. I can’t access my dashboard to tell you what versions I’m running. The other day I was trying to move template files to update the Buddypress packet. I’m using Filezilla and I moved some files around and now my website is blank. I’d appreciate any feedback thank you.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@jloc14
    – Backup then delete the BP template folders in your active WP theme folder in server.
    – Re-upload your WP theme.
    – Then re-run Appearance > BP Compatibility and go through the process to get clean BP template files.

JLent.
    Participant

@jloc14

Ok thank you, I’m not 100% sure how to do all that but I will try.

JLent.
    Participant

@jloc14

I checked with someone else and they’re having trouble with it too do you think you can explain? I really appreciate it.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@jloc14 first of all, what template files were you moving? Remember that you need to strictly follow the directory structure of the BP template files within your theme folder. For example, you cannot move /members/single/activity/permalink.php to /members/single/permalink.php nor to groups/permalink.php

JLent.
    Participant

@jloc14

In my dashboard, to update the buddypress plugin the next step was to move the template files as in each page, register, members, groups, forums, etc. I uploaded the files and moved those folders somewhere and now I don’t see them. In /public_html/wp-content/themes I only see smallbiz, twentyeleven,twentyten, and index.php folders.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

== In my dashboard, to update the buddypress plugin ==

@jloc14 to clarify, when you update BuddyPress plugin to BP 1.5+, you have to go through the installation wizard as seen here https://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/setting-up-a-new-installation/buddypress-1-5-installation-wizard/ As you can see, you do not move any page at all nor have to use Filezilla

== the next step was to move the template files as in each page, register, members, groups, forums, etc. ==

Which most probably means that you are referring to BuddyPress Template Pack plugin instead. What WordPress theme are you making compatible with BuddyPress? We have “template-packed” some WP themes already, check if your theme is in the list – https://codex.buddypress.org/theme-development/wordpress-to-buddypress-theme/#template-packed-wordpress-themes

JLent.
    Participant

@jloc14

Yes it was the installation wizard I was trying to go through I would of remembered that if I could get into my dashboard my apologies. I am using the BP default theme with a WordPress dating plugin from datingsolutions.biz. It was the BuddyPress Template Pack and when it tried to move the files automatically it failed and showed me steps to do it manually, that’s why I used Filezilla.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

== I am using the BP default theme ==

You do not need BP Template Pack plugin nor do you need to download/upload any folders if you’re using the bp-default theme. So …
    – First, deactivate the BP Template Pack plugin
    – Second, deactivate BuddyPress, delete BuddyPress, then install it again. This is to make sure that you have clean installation.

JLent.
    Participant

@jloc14

Ok sounds easy enough but how do I go about doing that if my website is blank and can’t get into my dashboard?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@jloc14 using FTP/SFTP or your control panel – rename the following folders in your server:
    – from wp-content/plugins/buddypress to wp-content/plugins/buddypress-xx
    – from wp-content/plugins/bp-template-pack to wp-content/plugins/bp-template-pack-xx

You can access your wp-admin by now.

JLent.
    Participant

@jloc14

Ok thank you very much!

JLent.
    Participant

@jloc14

Ive renamed the folders with the ending -xx and it’s still not displaying the site is there something else I need to do?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Moved template files around FTP website blank page’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar