Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

problem with subdirectory paths on new install (WPMU + BP)

• Scott B
    Participant

@scottbb

I am trying to set up a new installation of WPMU+BP+LDAP for our corporate blog (internal, not connected to internet). WPMU+LDAP seems to work fine. It’s set up so that http(s)://blogs/ or blogs.corp.lan resolve to the main blog, Corp Blog. Users’ accounts and blogs are automatically created when they first login, so that each user’s blog is located at blogs.corp.lan/user/. That seems to work great.

When I installed BP today, I downloaded the BP zip file, and uploaded it from the admin login from WPMU. That placed the plugin in the wp-content/plugins directory. Should it have placed the plugin in the wp-contents/mu-plugins directory?

I installed BP today, and it appears to work, but not well. If I login and go to my blog (blogs.corp.lan/user/), click on my avatar (to blogs.corp.lan/members/user/), then click on Blogs (blogs.corp.lan/members/user/blogs), then click on my blog, “user’s blog” (back to blogs/corp.lan/user/), then… none of the Activity, Members, Groups, Forums, or Blogs tabs at the top work (they point to /blogs.corp.lan/user/activity, /blogs.corp.lan/user/members, etc.). They all result in Page Not Found pages with the BuddyPress theme. The Home tab points to /blogs.corp.lan/user/.

However, if I then click on the avatar for my user, it takes me to /blogs.corp.lan/members/user/. At this point, Home points to /blogs.corp.lan. The Activity/Members/Groups/Forums/Blogs tabs point to /blogs.corp.lan/activity, … etc.

This is very confusing, I have a hard time describing the problem.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Set this in your wp-config.php:

define( 'BP_ENABLE_USERNAME_COMPATIBILITY_MODE', true );

Scott B
    Participant

@scottbb

Thank you for your help and replies. I added the define to my wp-config.php. That did not solve my problem.

1. With no users or blogs in the system other than the site-wide blog and admin user, visiting “blogs.corp.lan” takes me to the Corp Blog. From there, I can click on the Activity / Members / Groups / … etc. tabs, taking me to “blogs.corp.lan/activity”, “blogs.corp.lan/members”, … etc. pages. This looks good.

2. Now, after I login as a user, the user’s page gets created (but unfortunately with the WordPress mu Homepage (Kubrick) theme, even though I have disabled all themes other than the BuddyPress default theme). After I go to the user’s dashboard and change the theme to the BP default theme, and visit the user’s site, it takes me to “blogs.corp.lan/username”. Great, that’s what I expect from a WPMU installation. However, from the User’s home blog, clicking on Activity takes us to “blogs.corp.lan/username/activity”, saying Page Not Found, The page you were looking for was not found. Same with the other BP tabs (Members, Groups, Forums, Blogs). This is not desired.

Is it possible to set up my installation so that the BP tabs are global for all blogs in my corporate lan? That is, from ANY blog for ANY logged in user, clicking on “Members” should take us to “blogs.corp.lan/members”, not “blogs.corp.lan//members”.

Also, and I realize this is a different question, how do I configure it so that the BP theme is the default theme when a new user authenticates?

Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

– Scott B

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘problem with subdirectory paths on new install (WPMU + BP)’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar