Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

profile management

• hi everyone, how do you guys handle user profiles?
    i would like to keep subscribers out of the default WP dashboard and use only the http://mysite.com/members/ page in the default buddypress theme, but i don’t want to remove the ‘dashboard’ link in the admin bar. is there a way to ensure that when they click on the profile button in the dashboard i redirect users to the buddypress user profile?

any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

How are your users getting to the Dashboard in the first place? They should be able to manage their profiles by going to My Profile -> Edit.

they don’t get to the dashboard by default, but the link appears in the adminbar. from there things are really confusing for people because in the profile from the dashboard you have the default WP profile fields. from the ‘my profile’ they get the fields of buddypress.

now the quick and dirty thing to do would be to remove the dashboard link from the admin bar, but depending on the roles (i.e. editors and admins) it is handy to have the link.

the question is on the buddypress side: why if buddypress is installed the standard link to edit user in the admin panel is not redirected? (i’m guessing that this would be the easiest thing to do, but i have no clue how :(

hi everyone, i was hoping that someone was willing to share their experiences with the management of profile and the confusion generated by the standard link to the wp profile and the buddypress edit profile, but i can see that there are no takers…

so question going back ot the developers: i found a plugin which allows to edit the admin menu in the dashboard called ‘admin menu editor’. using this plugin i can manually change the links to the various pages. my intention is to change the profile link (profile.php) to the buddypress one. however, the problem is that this link is dynamically generated based on the user: ie

https://buddypress.org/community/members/myuser/profile/edit/

and this is where i need some guidance. is there a way to call a slug for the user which is going to work in the dashboard?

thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘profile management’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar