Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

remove password confirmation

• James Smith
    Participant

@thisisjamessmith

Anyone know if it’s possible to remove the rather superfluous password confirmation input box on the registration form? A quick bit of googling has turned up nothing useful :-(

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• techguy
    Participant

@crashutah

Serious? Password confirmation is not superfluous at all. Unless you want to be answer a ton of support requests because they think they typed the right password but in fact didn’t.

In fact I would go further and advise the use of travel-Junkies bp-xtra-signup plugin for it’s password strength checker and other touches. Stop them doing user name ‘bob’ password ‘bob’

Ehegwer
    Participant

@ehegwer

I’d like to know how to do this, too. It’s pretty easy to do a password reset, and one less form to fill out is one less barrier to entry.

James Smith
    Participant

@thisisjamessmith

It’s all about cutting those barriers to entry…
    As Ehegwer says, self-service via the password reset function is something everyone will be familiar with. Facebook for example, has no password confirmation requirement.

Anyhow, in the end I did it with a small and relatively unobtrusive core hack.

A password confirmation is not a barrier to entry it’s a ‘Best Practise’ to be honest if you have users put of by having to enter passwords twice you are probably better off without them :)

Just because Facebook does something a particular way doesn’t make it a best practise

James Smith
    Participant

@thisisjamessmith

>>Just because Facebook does something a particular way doesn’t make it a best practise

– true, but you can bet your bottom dollar they’ll have done some serious multi-variate testing on the conversion rates of that sign-up form.

There are plenty of arguments on both sides, but as part of a full usability overhaul I’m falling more on the side of fewer fields.

This jquery plugin looks like it could be a good usability enhancement too:
    http://www.unwrongest.com/projects/show-password/

Thanks for pointing me towards bp-xtra-signup plugin, it looks great (though I’m getting JS errors in IE6 and IE7 when using the ajax auto-checkers…)

Haven’t run that plugin under IE, need to look at that.

Point taken about the pwd confirm, and sign up rates and for a app like Facebook the figures perhaps justify. One thing I would say is that I am in favour of initial simplified signup processes, there is nothing that puts me of more than over complicated lengthy signups.

James Smith
    Participant

@thisisjamessmith

Just for completeness, I fixed those IE errors by changing

`JSON.parse(c)`
    to
    `jQuery.parseJSON(c)`

in availability.js and email_checker.js

Nice one cheers for feeding that back.

ought to give @travel-junkie the heads up on that as well

So can anyone describe how to take out the confirmation?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘remove password confirmation’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar