Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Running on one blog in multisite network…

• So I made a WP multisite network and added on a site which would be use for buddypress. I downloaded the plugin but the way the network is set up, it seems I HAVE to activate it for every blog. I only want it activated on ONE. Is there a way to do this?? H.E.L.P.!!!!!!!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Andrea Rennick
    Participant

@andrea_r

Network activate it. That’s all you do. Then it runs on the MAIN site.

If you want the Buddypress home base to be on a different site, you need to add a line in the wp-confgi.php file to tell it to do so.

define ( ‘BP_ROOT_BLOG’, $blog_id );

And replace $blog_id with the actual IDd number of the site you want it to run on.

techguy
    Participant

@crashutah

Unfortunately, there’s no way to do this. If you activate it, it activates for all. Although, there’s been a lot of discussion and people interested in what you’re trying to do. Just no developer that’s stepped up ready to build it.

Andrea Rennick
    Participant

@andrea_r

@techguy she also posted in the multisite forum. She only has one network, not looking for multiple. And she’s trying to have it show on a blog other than the main site.

Thanks for your help guys. I’m going to just have to figure out how to work it with the WP w/ BP as it’s own installation/database.

Jason

@jaffydesigns

Hi all

I’m trying to do something similar to @mandi – I just set up a multisite installation, and wanted to have BP running on just one of the sub-sites, not the main one. From your reply, @andrea_r, it sounds like I need to update the wp-config file, but my question is: do you mean the wp-config file of the main site, or of the subsite that I want to run BP?

Will this mean that the other non-BP sites will behave like normal WP installations (i.e. so I can theme them independently, etc.)?

Thanks very much!

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@JaffyDesigns there is only one wp-config.php per network/install which inlcudes the main site and subsites created from same install.

== other non-BP sites will behave like normal WP installations (i.e. so I can theme them independently, etc.)? ==
    Yes, definitely.

Jason

@jaffydesigns

Yep, I did some playing around, and figured that out, but definitely good to have my instincts confirmed. I’d been under the assumption that a multisite install actually replicated entire WP installs in different locations, so I was a little stumped – shows how new I am to multisite…thanks very much @mercime, appreciate the help!

For anyone else trying to achieve the same result, I found this article really useful: https://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/install-buddypress-on-a-secondary-blog/

Andrea Rennick
    Participant

@andrea_r

“I’d been under the assumption that a multisite install actually replicated entire WP installs in different locations, so I was a little stumped –”

the blog are virtual. :) A fact I keep repeating…

multisite background reading: wpmututorials.com

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Running on one blog in multisite network…’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar