Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

"Send private message" and "mention this user" only ever sends to one user

• ajaxmac
    Participant

@ajaxmac

I’m experiencing some strange behaviour with BuddyPress messaging.

I have two buddypress installs, and they are both using the same versions of

WP MU 2.9.2

BP 1.2.3

However, on one install (pingmusic.com.au) , whenever you go to message, or mention any user – the message defaults to only ever going to one user (with an id=6). i.e. you can’t click the “send private message” button and send a message to that user. The link seems to be hardwired to only one user on the system

The other install (blink.org.au) has messaging working as expected.

On Pingmusic.com.au I have turned off all the plugins, reinstalled buddypress 1.2.3, but to no avail.

I am lost for an answer as to why this is happening.

At this stage I cannot hose the install and start from scratch…as users are starting to sign up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ajax

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Having same problem with http://our.windowfarms.org

Seems like a serious bug

Brandon Allen
    Participant

@cnorris23

I’m not able to reproduce this. Did either of you create a child theme, or did you just customize the default theme?

ajaxmac
    Participant

@ajaxmac

Hi – I’ve got a child theme – it’s based on modemlooper’s bp-widget theme. bp-widget is a child theme of the default. I hadn’t thought of switching themes to try and sort it out.

I’ll give that a go and post back if I have any success.

I did try deleting the user who all messages were going to and that did not solve the problem.

I just made an account on our.windowfarms.org and see the same problem. a user adamrd is the recipient of all messages. What them are you using neufuture?

BTW: I love the windowfarming idea. Looks great.

cheers

ajaxmac
    Participant

@ajaxmac

I just swapped my site back to the default buddypress theme and am still experiencing the same problem. So switched back to the bp-widget theme that I had tweaked for the look and feel that I wanted.

Might be something weird going on with a database query or something cached?

ajaxmac
    Participant

@ajaxmac

I have found a solution to my problem – but don’t know exactly why these issues arose. I shall elaborate in case anyone else has similar problems:

I have also been experiencing problems with the themes for blogs being all messed up. Regardless of how they were activated – either globally or on a blog-by-blog basis, they never displayed properly. Possible an obscure redirect issue. At the same time I was experiencing the messaging issues for which I started this thread.

I think that these problems cropped up sometime between:
    – upgrading from WP MU 2.9.1 > 2.9.2
    – upgrading Buddypress 1.2.x > 1.2.3
    which were both done manually AND
    – trying out a whole buch of plugins that had not been tested (or verified) to work with my versions of BP and WPMU.

So I rolled the whole site back – files and mysql to about a month ago – before I upgraded and fucked up my database. Then copied any posts, files, members, activities etc from one database to the other…

So the lessons I learned from the sorry mess is:
    – Backup regularly (this goes without saying)
    – don’t try out spurious plugins that may damage your install (and lead to days of head-beating-on-wall WTF? moments)

Also – running the whole site on Amazon Web Services which gives you cheap access to ubiquitous storage (S3) at insanely low cost. So I run a script that backs up all files and mysql from the site daily and hang the GB that will accrue – because each GB cost something like $0.01 – or something….And this just saved my sanity.

Regards

Ajax

I’m pretty sure this is related to the problem I’m having that I posted here: https://buddypress.org/community/groups/how-to-and-troubleshooting/forum/topic/possible-bug-private-messages-being-sent-to-multiple-users/. For me it’s not stuck on one specific user, but it gets stuck on the user whose profile you just visited. I just installed BP a few weeks ago on a brand new installation of WP 2.9.2, so I have no way of rolling back to a previous version of the database. Is there any other possible solution to this problem? My site now has 500 registered users and it’s becoming a very big issue and I don’t know what to do about it.

Ok, I think I figured out that the user that mentions and private messages gets stuck on is the the user who wrote the most recent blog post. I checked in multiple browsers and they were all stuck on that user and then when another user submitted a new blog post, they got stuck on that user.

Well, it looks like messaging and mentions default to the user who made the most recent blog post unless you have just visited other user’s profiles in which case it changes to the previous user you visited, not the one whose page you are on. I’ve deactivated all the plugins I installed recently and that doesn’t change anything.

Having the same problem on one of my websites. I made of copy of my database, installed it on another site and the problem was gone. And I don’t know what is the difference between the two.
    I’m trying this again. I’ll let you know if it works.

lapincompris

@lapincompris

Ok, we have found the problem and fixed it. We were using the wp-cache plugin. First we disabled it, but nothing changed. Then we found it had left an objet-cache.php file at the root folder. We deleted it and TADA! In a second all our problems vanished…

ajaxmac
    Participant

@ajaxmac

Actually – I think I might have done the same thing with the wp-cache plugin. turned it on and then turned it off. That must have been what happened.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘"Send private message" and "mention this user" only ever sends to one user’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar