Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Setting up access to admin correctly for a BP network site

• I’ve just opened up my site to user registration and site creation. All’s going well but I have two problems now:

1. Initially when I was testing the site with some of my friends, they would have to wait for an email with a link to click on saying that their application for an account has been accepted. Now it seems no-one needs that because people are registering and accessing the site, and I haven’t had to approve a single one of them.

2. It seems that when users create an account without creating a blog at the same time, then create a blog after they’ve logged in, they end up being a user of the main site, ie my site, and can see my admin with all the options etc. I don’t know what to do so that they are no longer users of my site, and how do I stop that from happening?

Thanks,
    Helene

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What, if any, plugins are you using? what versions of WP & BP are you running.

When you say user of ‘Main’ site what exactly do you mean, all members are subscribers to the main blog that runs BP. When you say that they can ‘see your admin’ how are you establishing that fact; if for instance you, logged in as ‘Super Admin’, go and visit the backend/dashboard of a user blog from the ‘Sites’ list you will see the Super Admin menu, but not if you log in as the real user. If behavior is different than this it sounds like you have plugins or customisations at work?

I am using WP 3.0.1 and BP 1.2.5.2
    I am definitely sure that others can see my admin, and not just some parts of it. One fo the other users and I were trying to sort this out, and she coudl see exactly what I see. She actually accessed my admin where she could see the Super Admin links, and she accessed these through one of the other member’s admin area. I suspect the problem lies in that when users register, they end up not as independent users, but as users on the main site ie. mine. When I look at the “sites” area in my admin, i can see that there are many users whose site address is http://melbournemodernquiltguild.com, and then there are a few (ie. a minority) with site addresses as http://melbournemodernquiltguild.com/username. The only thing we’ve been able to establish as to how come this is, is that it seems that if users create a blog at the same time as when they first create their account, they end up with their own site address, ie. http://site/username. Otherwise, if they first create their account, then at a later time create a blog, they end up as a user on http://sitename.com. And I cannot figure out why that is.

These are the plugins I have currently have activated:

Akismet
    BP Blog Author Profile Link
    BuddyPress
    BuddyPress Chat Component
    BuddyPress Follow
    BuddyPress Group Email Subscription
    BuddyPress Like
    BuddyPress Profile Privacy
    Eventbrite for The Events Calendar
    Fast and Secure Contact Form
    Invite Anyone
    More Privacy Options
    Network Privacy
    One Quick Post
    The Events Calendar
    TinyMCE Advanced
    Welcome Pack

Your site definitely does not look as though it’s set up correctly, ‘blogs’ should list all your member blogs not direct to a 2010 undefined blog.

I would suspect that .htaccess is not setup correctly and /or the necessary wp-config changes required for MS added. When you set up the MS network did you follow all the steps exactly and add the new lines shown to you for .htaccess and wp-config? I have messed around with a WP 3.0 subfolder install but cannot replicate what you are describing or that I saw occurring on your site, however removing the .htaccess files does mean that subfolder sites resolve to main site index so I suspect this is the issue.

In case plugins are playing a part in the issue, it might be best to disable/deactivate all but those absolutely necessary i.e BP then see if things change, if they remain the same , compare your .htaccess file to that which should be shown under tools > network in the main dashboard.

yes I did follow all the steps exactly, and I added the lines to .htcaccess and wp-config.
    I just checked my .htcaccess and it looks like this:

# BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index.php$ – [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ – [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

# END WordPress

So everything I added according to tools/network is there. What should I do now? I don’t think it’s the plugins. I already tried that. Where’s the option to show the blogs? I have been going through every single menu item over and over and I cannot find where I switched that off.

Allowing users to register and create new blogs is under Super Admin > Options

Your server does read htaccess files, right? That you’re not on IIS?

@hnla yes I have it set up that way – users to register and create new blogs

@djpaul oh, how do I check that? I’ve emailed to ask my host server. I’m with Super Green Hosting, do you know it?

OK, just got confirmation that my site will read .htaccess files.

I think I may have found the culprit plugins. I set up a new account, and then went in to set up a new blog. All went OK till the final step, and then I got an error message to do with the Eventbrite plugin, so I disabled it, and tried again. This time I got the following error message when I tried to create a new blog:

Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/goldber3/public_html/MMQG/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/the-events-calendar.class.php on line 812

I’m going to deactivate this plugin too, and see what happens next.

Yep, now I could create a new blog with no error messages. So maybe that was the whoe deal. Maybe that events calenda and it’s partner Eventbrite plugin were the problem. I’m going to now reactivate the Welcome Pack plugin and see what happens.

I have actuvate the Welcome Pack plugin now, and I still see the rows or Warnings in the boxes next to

Invite the new user to become friends with these people:

and

Ask the new user if they’d like to join these groups:

It says: Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach () in /home/goldber3/public_html/MMQG/(etc – I can’t read if it says anything further.)

…. stumped!

Yeah, I know exactly what your error message is saying. However, I don’t know why it is saying that on your site. I’ve seen this before and it is sometimes down to a plugin conflict.

If you disable all plugins other than Welcome Pack and BuddyPress, does the problem go away?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Setting up access to admin correctly for a BP network site’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar