Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Show favourite count after each activity?

• ousep
    Participant

@ousep

I’ve put this into my bp-custom.php:

function my_show_favorite_count() {
    $my_fav_count = bp_activity_get_meta( $_POST['id'], 'favorite_count' );
    echo $my_fav_count;
    }
    add_action( 'bp_activity_entry_meta', 'my_show_favorite_count' );

to get the total number of times an activity has been favourited…

But, nothing shows up… Am I missing something here?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

• ousep
    Participant

@ousep

PS: using BP1.2 + WP 2.9.2

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Try bp_get_activity_id() in place of $_POST[‘id’].

ousep
    Participant

@ousep

Yup… that works!

Thanks…

ousep
    Participant

@ousep

Related question:

How do I show a list (or avatars) or users who’ve favourited the activity?

Here’s how I’m about to attempt to do it:

The first time an activity is favourited, I add a new row to wp_bp_activity_meta with activity_id, a meta_key named my_activity_faved_by, and the user_id as its meta_value.

With every additional favouriting, I update the corresponding meta_value with the new user_id at the end (using CONCAT?).

And in the frontend, I throw out a list of avatars of users who’ve favourited that activity.

Is that the best way about it, or is there something simpler I could be doing?

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Look into the bp_core_fetch_avatar() function in bp-core/bp-core-avatars.php.

Sounds good to me. Not sure if there’s a better way performance-wise.

ousep
    Participant

@ousep

@r-a-y: Thanks, again…

Now, still trying to get the hang of the whole replacing core functions principle…

Will update this once I get some results.

ousep
    Participant

@ousep

Hit a block here… how do I hook into the function where a user clicks on the favourite button, and make that do something to the database? Using bp_activity_action_mark_favorite? bp_activity_add_user_favorite?

Tried them both, with no results… I know I’m doing something wrong here, but my knowledge of PHP/mySQL is mostly trial and error… (a lot of the latter)

Right now, I’m doing this:

function my_favorite_by_add() {
    $my_fav_by_current = bp_activity_get_meta( bp_get_activity_id(), 'favorite_by' );
    global $current_user;
    get_currentuserinfo();
    $my_fav_by_new = $my_fav_by_current . ',' . $current_user->ID ;
    bp_activity_update_meta( $activity_id, 'favorite_by', $my_fav_by_new );
    }
    add_action( 'bp_activity_add_user_favorite', 'my_favorite_by_add' );

Any suggestions?

In 1.2.1 I’ve added the missing “bp_activity_remove_user_favorite” and “bp_activity_add_user_favorite” actions that you can hook into. It’ll be out in the next day or two.

ousep
    Participant

@ousep

Oh.. thanks.

Will get back on this later, then.

snark
    Participant

@snark

@Ousep and @r-a-y, I get the my_show_favorite_count function, but I’m not sure how to call it out, or where. Thanks.

snark
    Participant

@snark

Any ideas?

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@snark

You can plug the code into your theme’s functions.php file.

It doesn’t do much at the moment, as snark is still working on the code and Andy is making refinements to the activity API.

@ousep

Looking forward to your code! This is similar to Hempsworth’s plugin, but I think what you’re working on utilizes what BP already has, which is good.

ousep
    Participant

@ousep

@snark: I’ve modified the function to this:

function my_favorite_count() {
    $my_fav_count = bp_activity_get_meta( bp_get_activity_id(), 'favorite_count' );
    if ($my_fav_count >= 1) : {
    if (is_user_logged_in()) : {
    echo '<span>(' . $my_fav_count . ')</span>';
    }
    endif;
    }
    endif;
    }
    add_action( 'bp_activity_entry_meta', 'my_favorite_count' );

Apart from shortening my function name, this shows the count only if the visitor is logged in.

This code goes into bp-custom.php, and it outputs the count next to the Favorite or Remove Favorite button.

ousep
    Participant

@ousep

@r-a-y: You probably meant this plugin: https://buddypress.org/forums/topic/buddypress-like

You’re right.. it does do pretty much the same thing. But I’ll stick with this, since it’s one of my few attempts at coding something :)

snark
    Participant

@snark

@Ousep — I don’t have a bp-custom.php file (WPMU? I’m using single-user WP), but I put your function in my child theme functions.php file, and it did something, though it didn’t quite work.

It did not output a count of favorites next to the Favorites button in the Profile sub-nav bar (oddly, such a favorite count does is being displayed in the site-wide Activity stream navigation, however), which is what it should do, but it did output either a “(1)” or a “(2)” just to the right of the “Remove Favorite” button in each of the Favorites listed in Profile –> Activity (Personal) and Profile –> Activity — Favorites. It also posted a “(1)” or a “(2)” just to the right of the “Remove Favorite” button in Activity –> All Members and Activity — Favorites.

snark
    Participant

@snark

Any ideas on this? Thanks.

ousep
    Participant

@ousep

bp-custom.php goes in the plugins folder… It doesn’t exist, you’ll have to create a php file containing the code above.

<?php

?>

And that’s what it does, so far. It shows the number of times each secret has been favourited by users.

[code goes here]

?>

And that's what it does, so far. It shows the number of times each secret has been favourited by users.

snark
    Participant

@snark

Ok, I get it. I added “favorites” to your code, so now it displays “(2) favorites” instead of just “(2)”, to give it a little more meaning for users. Any way to add a conditional line to your function so that if there is one favorite, it will display “(1) favorite” (singular) and if there are two or more, it will display “(x) favorites” (plural)? If this is too nitpicky, or if the favorites plugin in development supercedes all of this, then no worries, I can live without it.

The other “Favorites” display issue I’m trying to solve is to get the Profile sub-nave to display the Favorites count like it does in the activity stream. Right now, they differ in their displays, like this:

On Activity Stream: Favorites (2)

On Profile Sub-nav: Favorites

Thanks!

dwpers
    Participant

@dwpers

I got all excited about this until I realized this was for 1.2 not 1.1.3 ;)

ousep
    Participant

@ousep

@snark: Try this, for pluralization…

function my_favorite_count() {
    $my_fav_count = bp_activity_get_meta( bp_get_activity_id(), 'favorite_count' );
    if ($my_fav_count >= 1) : {
    if (is_user_logged_in()) : {
    echo '<span>(' . $my_fav_count . ')</span> favorite';
    if ($my_fav_count > 1) :
    {echo 's';} //this turns favorite into favorites :)
    endif;
    }
    endif;
    }
    endif;
    }
    add_action( 'bp_activity_entry_meta', 'my_favorite_count' );

I’ve been sidetracked by a couple of other things that needed my attention, so I haven’t been able to make it do what I’d really like it to do, ie: show the number within the favorite link, like it shows in the reply link:

[Reply (12)] [Favorite (23)].

For consistency.

And the other issue of updating the number on clicking the link.

And, showing the users who’ve favourited the activity.

About the other issue, I’ve been trying to find the source of those links, too… Not much luck with that, yet.

snark
    Participant

@snark

@ousep: Thanks for all your work on this, I really appreciate it. The new tweak works great, but if you ever get around to getting the count inline — [Favorite (23)] — I’ll be looking forward to it here.

Liesl Fawcett
    Participant

@liesl1698

Hi, where exactly did you put the code you posted at first & on which file?

thanks @ousep and @r-a-y :D

@liesl1698 paste it in your theme’s functions.php

Pin
    Participant

@icepin

Anyone managed to get what @snark said? Getting the count inline — [Favorite (23)]
    This would be a really nice feature for BP users.

Cheers

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • The topic ‘Show favourite count after each activity?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar