Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Sign-up redirects to Registration which goes nowhere…

• BlueInkAlchemist

@blueinkalchemist

The site I’m working on has a sign-up form they’re very happy with, the standard sign-up.php form. Its action is, of course, ‘/wp-login.php?action=register’ – and with the addition of BuddyPress, this redirects them to the BuddyPress registration page. As a result, neither form works. Hitting the submit button on sign-up.php takes the user to the BuddyPress registration page (blank, of course), and hitting the same button on the registration page simply reloads it.

How can I resolve this? Since the WP users table still exists in the DB concurrent with the similar table for BP, can I get the two talking to each other? Feature fields from both forms on the same page? Or do I need to find a way to bypass/remove the old WP sign-up form entirely and change/adjust the client’s registration information to match the form?

Thanks in advance…

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

• BlueInkAlchemist

@blueinkalchemist

I know everybody here is generously donating their time, and your expertise & patience is greatly appreciated. Is there any way I can get some help or feedback before the weekend?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

So you mean that you have a WP install in domain root http://yoursite.com and have installed a second WP at e.g. http://community.yoursite.com/ using the same database and the same users table?

When you say standard PHP sign-up form, I take it you mean it’s not the actual WP login.php? So have you tested what happens when you remove that standard PHP form (which could have caused conflict with registration) and go the route of a direct link to the BP registration page slug http://yoursite.com/register or to whatever URL/slug you set up for your BP install?

BlueInkAlchemist

@blueinkalchemist

Going directly to the slug just bounces the user back. All the fields in the form remain filled in. This happens even when I remove the standard PHP form (sign-up.php).

BlueInkAlchemist

@blueinkalchemist

I apologize: for the first part of your question the BP and WP installs are on the same domain.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

== Going directly to the slug just bounces the user back. ==

Did you check if you allowed registration in your second WP install which has BP ativated?

BlueInkAlchemist

@blueinkalchemist

“Did you check if you allowed registration in your second WP install which has BP activated?”

BP is activated on the core WP install, there is no second one. It’s set to Anyone can Register in the WP-admin backend.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Ok, correcting my previous assumption – it’s been a long day sorry. So you have a single WP installation with BP activated. Prior to installing BP, you had this PHP signup form which worked in your WP installation. You’ve deleted the PHP signup form and the BP registration form does not show up when you go to http://yoursite.com/register

To troubleshoot whether it’s a BP issue, given above conditions, deactivate all plugins except BuddyPress and change to bp-default theme. I assume that you haven’t changed any internal BP configuration like renaming register to something else, go to http://yoursite.com/register. If that works, then ..

Are you using a WP theme with BP Template Pack plugin for compatibility? Activate both and check registration. If that works, then ..

Activate other plugins one by one to identify which one is messing up with registration page.

BlueInkAlchemist

@blueinkalchemist

Okay, with all plugins deactivated and BP default theme enabled, /register redirects back to the home page.

If I were to reinstall BP (and perhaps the base WP files as well) would the information in the DB be preserved?

Oh, and reactivating plugins afterward broke the site (white-screen syndrome). I hate this thing.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@BlueInkAlchemist – I would download a copy of BuddyPress and then manually re-upload files via FTP or cpanel, etc. Only activate BP and with the bp-default theme, check if yoursite.com/register goes to default BP registration page.

If you mean reinstalling WP from scratch, then information in DB will not be preserved unless you back up DB and save to your computer.

Did you by any chance, install WP manually or did you install WP via webhost script like fantastico or simplescripts, etc? Those webhost scripts have been the bane of some WP installs which have problems or cannot upgrade to multisite or which get major hiccups making BuddyPress work in their install. In that case, then I would definitely reinstall from scratch and check out the tables I can import from the DB backup I made from previous installation.

BlueInkAlchemist

@blueinkalchemist

@mercime – Took your advice, reuploaded BuddyPress and /register still redirects back to the base site.

What I meant by reinstalling WP is similar to what I just did with BP – download a fresh copy of the install from wordpress.org and manually overwrite the files on the FTP site, with the exception of wp-config.php so it still points to the right DB with the right credentials.

I believe this WP was installed manually, but the server does include some legacy folders that have nothing to do with WP – drupal, etc – which I suspect may interfere with the overall performance of the site.

Brajesh Singh
    Participant

@sbrajesh

Can you confirm the the pretty permalink is working for pages, post. Just curious.
    Also, is it possible that you may link the site here, so we may check it in action ?

BlueInkAlchemist

@blueinkalchemist

@sbrajesh: I don’t seem to be getting a redirect with most pages & posts.

The site’s staging area is http://designatedsketcher.maidenhosting.com/ and most of the BP functionality can be found under /members/.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Have you tried just disabling BP’s registration hijacking? I haven’t tested myself, but it might work. In your functions.php:
    `if ( bp_core_is_multisite() )
    remove_action( ‘wp’, ‘bp_core_wpsignup_redirect’ );
    else
    remove_action( ‘init’, ‘bp_core_wpsignup_redirect’ );
    `

BlueInkAlchemist

@blueinkalchemist

@boonebgorges: That definitely works. WP default sign-in now works properly. Thank you.

Now… here’s a thought. Is there a way to redirect a user after registration directly to their shiny new BP members page so they can edit their profile, upload an avatar, etc? At the moment it takes them to the ‘check your email’ WP functionality that exists by default.

The client was curious about having the sign-up form submit to both WP and BP but I don’t think that’s going to happen, and redirecting from one sign-up form to another just caused more headaches…

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

It’s pretty easy to redirect users after login. Something like http://buddydev.com/buddypress/buddypress-trick-redirect-users-to-their-profile-on-login/ will work.

If you only want to do it the *first* time a user logs in, or only if the user has not filled out the profile, it’s trickier. Before returning `bp_core_get_user_domain( $user->ID )`, you’d want to check against some piece of data, such as `get_user_meta( $user->ID, ‘last_activity’, true )` (which will tell you the last time the user logged in, which I believe will return false if it’s a new user).

BlueInkAlchemist

@blueinkalchemist

@boonebgorges: That will work, but how about redirecting after registration, i.e. filling out the WP sign-up form? Of course this might have to deal with the sign-up form itself which isn’t necessarily a BP issue…

Brajesh Singh
    Participant

@sbrajesh

@blueinkalchemist
    There seems something strange with the urls though.
    It works
    http://designatedsketcher.maidenhosting.com/category/contest

as well as this one
    https://thedesignatedsketcher.com/category/contest

How do you manage to do that. That might have something to do with the conflict. hopefully, It will help further to understand the issue.

BlueInkAlchemist

@blueinkalchemist

@sbrajesh:

The ‘maidenhosting’ url is a staging area. We copied their existing site (thedesignatedsketcher.com) to add BuddyPress and work out what turned out to be a plethora of kinks before pushing the new changes live.

Daniele
    Participant

@dabesa

The hack is not working with latest version,

`if ( bp_core_is_multisite() )
    remove_action( ‘wp’, ‘bp_core_wpsignup_redirect’ );
    else
    remove_action( ‘init’, ‘bp_core_wpsignup_redirect’ );`

bp_core_is_multisite() gives error as it’s not found.

Do you know what’s work nowadays?

Thanks!

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Sign-up redirects to Registration which goes nowhere…’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar