Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Some Users get memory error or white screen of death, while others don’t

• brentjacobsen

@brentjacobsen

I have a buddypress site with 450 users. 2 of them (that I know of) have had problems logging in – it loads an empty body tag. I had previously had a memory problem, but have since fixed that, so I’m curious why some users would have problems and others not.

I have looked at the database, and don’t see anything weird in there, so I’m wondering if anyone might have had any experience with this?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

How did you “fix” the memory error? It could still be that certain user accounts have enough metadata attached to them that they go past the memory ceiling you have set on your site.

brentjacobsen

@brentjacobsen

I’ve added memory to the php.ini file, and in the wp-config file. I’m using TPC Memory Usage plugin to monitor, and it shows plenty of memory on both the php side and the WP side

brentjacobsen

@brentjacobsen

Almost all the users are new, so I doubt it’s the metadata – although that’s a possibility.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

OK, it sounds like you probably have your memory bases covered then.

When you say that users see an empty body tag, can you be more specific? Does this happen after they have clicked Submit on the login form? Are they able to access the wp-admin area? Can they see the site when logged out? What theme are you using? WP/BP versions?

brentjacobsen

@brentjacobsen

WP 3.0.5. BP 1.2.7. User will get to login screen, enter their login info, and then see a blank screen. When you look at the source, it just shows an empty body tag. User can’t access anything at this point. I’m using BuddyPress Widget Theme 1.2.7.

brentjacobsen

@brentjacobsen

I’m thinking of updating my WP install to see if that helps with a few other little bugs – what do you think?

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

If you upgrade to WP 3.1, you’ll also have to upgrade to BP 1.2.8. That should go smoothly, but it might be worth researching your essential BP-related plugins to make sure they are 1.2.8 compatible. (This mostly has to do with Multisite/Network Admin fixes.)

I’m not sure how or why those upgrades would solve the problem, though.

You may want to try switching back to the default theme for a moment, just to see if that fixes the problem. At least that would narrow down the problem a little bit.

brentjacobsen

@brentjacobsen

I’ll try that. On a side note, the site is actually an academic one that we are using for the students/faculty/alumni of an MBA program to communicate. The ability to have both external and internal components combined with the social aspect are what makes Buddypress so attractive. I have used many of your plugins, and would love to pick your brain on a few things if that would be appropriate.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Sure, you can drop me an email at boonebgorges gmail.

brentjacobsen

@brentjacobsen

Thanks. FYI – I did the updates, and still having the same problem. The simple solution is to just blow away the user and create a new one, but I’m still baffled as to why the problem exists at all.

brentjacobsen

@brentjacobsen

BTW, what are you using for your featured slider on Cuny? I have been searching high and low for a featured post slider that will work multisite.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Did you try the default theme? It’s possible that this is theme related. It could also be being caused by some other plugin you’re running.

Slider: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/post-gallery-widget/

brentjacobsen

@brentjacobsen

Is that slider Multisite compatible?

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

What does that question mean? You can have it on more than one site in a network.

brentjacobsen

@brentjacobsen

Can it pull posts from multiple sites across a multisite installation?

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Oh. It doesn’t pull posts at all. It uses a custom post type that has to be manually populated. However, you could pretty easily combine this with FeedWordPress, which can pull from any RSS feed (including tag/category feeds elsewhere on your WP network), and save them to the relevant custom post type on the main blog.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@brentjacobsen – Do you have access to your PHP/apache error logs to see where exactly the memory error is happening? How much available memory is being allocated to PHP? Remember that the more custom PHP code you pull in (with plugins, elaborate themes, etc…) is the bigger that buffer gets, and eventually it’ll pop once it hits the limit. That limit may get reached at different times for different users depending on the number of groups they’re in, the number of pending invitations they have, the page that is trying to be displayed, etc…

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Some Users get memory error or white screen of death, while others don’t’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar