Categories
Search
Bottom

Split members into admin defined caregories

• theandyreport

@theandyreport

Hi all,

I’m wondering if the following is possible:

I’d like to split my “members” into admin-defined and managed sub-member list. For example, let’s say the “members” list is split into “celebrities” and “fans”. “Celebrities” are hand picked by me, and appear in their own member listing, a members –> celebs dropdown, brows-able by everyone. “Fans” are essentially everybody else — a default member list. I’d also like to select separate rules for each member category. “Celebrities”, for instance, cannot be sent a private message by a “Fan”. BUT, I would like a “Fan” to be able to follow a “Celebrity’s” activity.

Basically, I’m trying to hand pick individual members and list them separately:
    – Professors (cherry picked) :: Students (general)
    – Artists (cherry picked) :: Fans (general)
    – MLB stars (cherry picked) :: Little League-ers (general)

You get the idea… Possible?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

• modemlooper

@modemlooper

I’m working on this same problem. I’m checking out roles plugins.

Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

@theandyreport

Putting members into different categories isn’t a built in feature.

You could perhaps implement your requirement using groups, i.e. assigning your celebrities to a group. You’d then have to do a fair bit of template / loop manipulation, and enabling / disabling features dependent on whether members were in the group or not.

If @modemlooper finds something with roles, it would be interesting. However, similarly to grouping, you would still probably have to do a fair bit of template manipulation to enable / disable features based on role.

PH (porsche)
    Participant

@porscheheritage

Couldnt you use the existing user roles… built in to wordpress?

modemlooper

@modemlooper

It’s doable but with work. You basically would need to create new roles and then do custom member loops to only call those from a certain role.

vee_bee
    Participant

@vee_bee

This seems to be a more and more common request.
    I am contemplating the use of groups (user groups), to segment users. And to make those “user groups” hidden, and a hierarchy of the whole site.
    It could be described as roles, but within these ‘user groups’ I still require all the current functionality.
    This problem may not exist if a privacy plugin, allowed control over some sort of ‘user type’.
    V

Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

I’m not sure roles is the correct solution to this.

What we really want is the capability to extend the existing category / tags concept to include member profiles as well as posts.

I’m sure there’s probably a lot of discussion on this topic already, under the heading ‘taxonomies’. Unfortunately, most articles using the term ‘taxonomy’ descend rapidly into unintelligible tech speak :-) !

modemlooper

@modemlooper

I think roles is the right way. Basically you have a group admin and mods. There needs to be a way to add other roles. That way you can say xx role can only join group.

Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

@modemlooper – roles would restrict you to just one level of categorisation

Category and tag taxonomies for members would allow you to implement much more complex groupings, e.g. hierarchical nested groups of members, allocation of members to multiple categories, etc.

[Edit: This argument applies to groups as well as members, and is something Burt Adsit tried to achieve in the early 1.0 BuddyPress days]

Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

it’s item 9 on this list for BuddyPress 1.3:

Wed 28th July Dev Chat homework

modemlooper

@modemlooper

I agree about more control but seems easy to use WP roles now to filter.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

I’ve done this a few times for clients and I’m getting close to having a solution that’s release-worthy. Might even put it in as a patch for bp-core.

modemlooper

@modemlooper

Yes! It’s a much needed feature

vee_bee
    Participant

@vee_bee

+1

paulhastings0
    Participant

@paulhastings0

+1

noizeburger
    Participant

@noizeburger

+2

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

+1

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

+1

remotedevice
    Participant

@remotedevice

+1 super essential

Jean-Marc
    Participant

@chefouvi

+1 much needed

Geet Jacobs
    Participant

@geetjacobs

I am looking to do the same, would love it as an added feature.

Might mess with creating hidden groups to achieve this, but ouch its a lot of loop template editing!

4ella
    Participant

@4ella

Hi there ,
    Did anybody manage to get splitted member list to work ? Can you point me to some solution ? Member categories is what buddypress needs

ARHistoryHub
    Participant

@arhistoryhub

While the greater minds continue to work on patch or plugin of some sort, I’ve simply added an additional profile drop down field with three member types and added a flyout to my main nav that queries the member directory for their answer to that particular field – “http://www.example.com/members/?s=Member Type X”. Not incredibly useful, but works for a quick sort into categories.

4ella
    Participant

@4ella

ARHistoryHub – Thank you !! , I think that I will do the same , I only hoped that search won’t work so accurately like if you get the info from database table . But thanks anyway , searching for another answer seems to be a loosing the time and your simple solution should work immediately .

Jetsetpeasant
    Participant

@jetsetpeasant

It’s been almost a year and a half and wanted to see if this feature has been added in to the plugin yet. Any news?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘Split members into admin defined caregories’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar