Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

The dreaded white screen of death – appeared after activation, no new changes

• Please forgive me – I’m a relative newbie, and many of the existing support threads don’t seem to entirely apply to my instance of WSoD.

I have a new site (http://www.societelumieres.com/) that has BP 1.2.2.1 running on WP 2.9.2 with a BP theme installed. I had everything up and running fine before I left for vacation (and other users were able to access the site). When I tried to login just now, the entire site, Admin, front page, everything, was inaccessible.

I can see the files via FTP, but I’m not sure where to start to try and solve the problem. I’d rather not nuke the site if I don’t have to.

I have the following plugins installed:
    akismet*
    author avatars*
    bp-blog-author link*
    bp-community-blogs
    bp-events
    bp-groupblog
    bp-template-pack
    bp-wiki
    buddypress (etc)*
    buddypress-maps*
    cd-bp-avatar-bubble
    podpress
    role-scoper
    search-engine*
    welcome-pack
    wordpress-mu-secure-invites
    wp-hashcash*
    wp-super-cache

Because I can’t access the admin pages (and its been a couple of weeks), I can’t say for sure which plugins are active, but I did asterisk those I’m fairly certain are active.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• drifter0658

@drifter0658

I had the same problem about a month ago. You need to rename the/wp-contents/ plugins directory at your server. Then you should be able to access your admin panel. Go back and name the plugins directory back to plugins.

You may have to reactivate the plugins again. I’m pretty sure I narrowed the failure down to one plugin, it was one I had been working with when the site went down.

Goof Luck!

Thanks Drifter:

The plugins directory is /wp-content/plugins – I don’t recall renaming it. What other name should it have?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@isara what @drifter0658 said was to rename the wp-content plugins folder to something else.
    Or, I remember bp-events plugin giving my test install a white screen a while back, so instead of renaming the whole plugins folder, you might want to try deleting the bp-events plugin folder first, refresh browser and try to log back in again. If that doesn’t work, rename plugins folder.

drifter0658

@drifter0658

If you rename it now ( usually rename it/ wp-content/plugins1) that will hide access to the plugins from the admin portion of your site. You would then be able to get to your site’s admin panel. Once you log in and reach your admin panel, rename the plugins directory back to /wp-content/plugins.

The problem is most likely with the last plugin you activated.

Gotcha! thanks @mercime and @drifter0658 – it seems to be ok now. *fingers crossed*

Ok… well, it seems to have taken issue with the wiki plugin, which is now deleted from the directory. What I can’t figure out is why the response was delayed. The site was fine the evening I installed it, but then, while I was away (and no other users), it mysteriously started acting up.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘The dreaded white screen of death – appeared after activation, no new changes’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar