Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

The server responded with a status of 404 (Not found)

• brettsandersuk

@brettsandersuk

Hey all,

I am at my wits end with a particular problem so I thought I would see if anyone can assist. I’ve searched all over to no avail. Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out!

I am developing a site at: http://www.thegymbuzz.com, and I am running the BuddyPress Plugin. I am having a problem with the Admin Bar that runs along the top of the page.

It has always been absolutely fine with no problems at all, and then yesterday after making some completely unrelated changes the Bar has disappeared and I am left with some ugly links at the bottom left of the page. (Except on Internet Explorer, strangely, where everything is fine still.)

When I get on to Chrome I get this Error: Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not found) for adminbar.css.

When I go into my files, adminbar.css is there with all of the information necessary. So I am totally stumped.

Any guidance someone can provide me with will be amazing!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • It might be physically there but clearly the path to file is not correct or at least that’s the way it looks, simple test move the file into your child theme and add an @import call to the style.css in child root.

Somewhere those ‘unrelated’ changes must have been related in some way not apparent.

brettsandersuk

@brettsandersuk

Thanks for getting back to me.

Ok, so just to clarify:

I have moved adminbar.css into my theme. Then added this line to my style.css in my theme.

`/* Inherit the default theme adminbar styles */
    @import url( ../../themes/los_angeles/adminbar.css );`

Is that right?

If it is, then it hasn’t affected anything. Does this tell you something?

brettsandersuk

@brettsandersuk

/* Inherit the default theme adminbar styles */
    @import url( ../../themes/los_angeles/adminbar.css );

That’s more like it!

Path will be wrong ../ is a directory notation that instructs to move one level up to find a file, if both files at same level then simply state the file name

brettsandersuk

@brettsandersuk

Ok, changed it to:

/* Inherit the default theme adminbar styles */
    @import url(adminbar.css );

Not much has changed. This time the Admin Bar is now not showing right on the WP Dashboard as well as the site.

I hope that’s right now

brettsandersuk

@brettsandersuk

Hi,

Do you have any further thoughts on this? Since your original suggestion hasn’t changed anything, does that give you any more information to go with?

Thanks.

Sorry it doesn’t really give me anything to go on, I would suggest trying to get everything back to the original default folders, ensure template pack is correct and that it’s using stylesheets i.e they haven’t been turned off in the dashboard options.

What was suggested before should have worked, that it didn’t suggests other factors involved that I’m not aware of.

If you really want you could go a step further and copy the actual adminbar rulesets and paste them into main style.css at the bottom see if the styles kick in then.

brettsandersuk

@brettsandersuk

Ok I think I am getting somewhere.

I have put everything back to where it was originally, and copied and pasted the adminbar.css content into my style.css, and changed the path for the two background images.

This has resurrected the Admin Bar in Chrome, Firefox and Safari! YAY!! However, the problem is now occurring with Internet Explorer where before it was fine! Damn!

However, the problem is not as much as it was before – the admin bar is in the right place, but the two background images are not showing: the black background, and the Menu Arrow. So, knowing that Internet Explorer has it’s CSS issues I have found that IE sometimes has disappearing background images, which obviously seems to be the problem!

(You can see what I mean in IE8 @ http://www.thegymbuzz.com)

Can anyone provide any assistance on hacking the code to make these two images show up in IE??

Thanks so much for all your help so far. I feel I am gradually getting there!

brettsandersuk

@brettsandersuk

I have been searching frantically for the last 3 days for a solution to this.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can correct the dysfunction in Internet Explorer?

Thanks in advance

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘The server responded with a status of 404 (Not found)’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar