Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Theming User Profile / blog post page.

• I’ve created a custom theme for buddypress I’m quite happy with, featuring a headlines slide show on the main page. I have however, been unable to find the files dictating the user profile and blog post pages layout. Right now when I click on a Blog post title, it takes me to a version the the main page which is formatted to the main page for the slide show, which I’d like to change. The user profile page right now is completely blank with only the background image of the site and the header image but does have the standard user profile content on it.

I know how simple of a theming issue this is. Either It’s staring me in the face or I’m an idiot but I’ve spent 3 hours searching for this information and haven’t found it yet so I must ask. What are the files for User profile and Blog posts which can be edited to give them a custom look and feel as index.php dose in the theme folder?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

Right now when I click on a Blog post title, it takes me to a version the the main page which is formatted to the main page for the slide show, which I’d like to change
    Well that has to do with the theme you built, maybe some incorrect php.

The user profile page right now is completely blank with only the background image of the site and the header image but does have the standard user profile content on it.

Ok, well than what is missing?

What are the files for User profile and Blog posts which can be edited to give them a custom look and feel as index.php dose in the theme folder?

User profile is yourtheme/members/single

The post page depends on your theme, some themes have a post.php file, but I don’t know if you have created something similar to that however in your theme that you built.

I’m sorry for not being specific. The user profile page is missing the main main content col which contains the written content on the main page, as well as the side bars and footer so it’s getting the header from the theme but not taking any thing else except background image from the style sheet.

`User profile is yourtheme/members/single`
    I assume you mean buddypress theme? I’ve played around in the single folder going through each file, deleting it’s contents , reloading the profile page to see any effect before restoring the file’s contents but, have been unable to find any pinchlin file to theme the profile page with. Am I missing some thing?

My theme is heavily based upon twentyten which doesn’t use such a file to my knowledge. Is the post file some thing I could create my self? If so where, in my wp theme folder?

Thank you for your time Virtuali very, very much.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Blog posts use regular WP templates: single.php for blog posts; page.php for WP pages.

User profile comprises a number of templates, but the main structure of it can be found under /bp-default/members/single/home.php. Copy this file to your theme retaining the folder structure and modify it to your heart’s content.

Thank you for your time Ray. Your recommendation for blog post worked as stated. I’m finally making some head way.

The user profile is another matter. when it comes to the user profile, I feel like a three-legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen pond. I’ve copied the single folder out of the buddypress default theme folder and placed it in my active wordpress theme. I’ve gone through and edited each file in the folder trying to get some kind of change to happen to my profile page, but nothing. Have I understood you correctly? The home.php file is the file that dictates the relationship of the others? Am I to transfer the single file to my wp theme and then edit the original or the one I’ve copied? I’ve done both with no result, then deleted both with no result.

Any Ideas would be cherished! Thanks for your time again.

I’ve moved the home.php file to my theme folder which is what I think you meant Ray. This changes the look of my wp home page but does nothing to my user profile. Am I missing some thing or is this the correct path?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

When you copy files from bp-default into your custom BP theme, you would have to follow the directory structure as r-a-y mentioned above.

So if the file you’re copying is /bp-default/members/single/home.php then you have to copy it over to /wp-content/themes/your-custom-bp-theme/members/single/home.php – where you would have to create the /members directory and within that, the /single directory

Right I’m aware. I’ve tried every combination including what you’ve mentioned Mercime as my first try. I’ve also copy pasted the members file along with all it’s children and cousins to my custom theme folder. The only thing that makes any changes what so ever is placing home.php in the main custom-theme folder, which will change the home page but not the user profile.

I’ve created my custom theme by modifying a copy of twenty ten, completely customizing each relevant file but maintaining the same function names. Could this be having some thing to do with my troubles since the other themes allow me to access a working user profile.

Silly question perhaps but you have set your theme as a child of BP?

My theme has this in it’s style sheet
    ‘Template: bp-default
    Tags: buddypress, wood, wallpaper, old, moldy
    */’

That means it’s a child of bp right?

Yes there are a few other bits to it though but I guess Template: is the important one

When you copy files over to it to work on you MUST keep the exact same directory structure they had in the BP folder so /members is the top level directory and that must exist in your theme and it must contain the folder /single if you want to edit account/profile pages. In these two folders you may copy any or all, as few or as many of the files as you need to, BP checks when asked to fetch a file to see if it exists in a child theme before it reverts to looking in it’s own folders.

themes/
    my-theme/
    index.php
    page.php
    /members
    home.php
    /single

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Theming User Profile / blog post page.’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar