Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

user blogs without multisite

• VirtualityStudio

@virtualityreiki

is there a way to enable users to have a blog running through their activity/profile area without needing to enable multisite. i don’t want them to have their own huge thing going on through our site, just sort of a mini-blog that the other users can read that can be more in-depth than a status update. is this possible?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• TimCarey
    Participant

@timcarey

Isn’t that what groups the kind of like

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

You can set up ‘Gravity’ forms to allow posting from the front end.

users would merely write an article in the front end, submit it and you can then publish it from the backend on their behalf. I use this and it works perfectly. users can still submit a picture with the article too.

VirtualityStudio

@virtualityreiki

I have groups set up, but I had some people ask for their own “blog” though, which I’m a bit reluctant to do because of spam / server space issues. I thought if it was just a glorified activity stream thing it might be easier to keep under control.

Gravity forms sound interesting… have to look that up, although I don’t think it is what they are asking for… they want their own “home” on the site so to speak.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

VirtualityStudio

@virtualityreiki

hmmmm… that just might work :)

now i just have to figure out how to create a “blog” tab in the profile to give it a home and get it to run though there. thanks! :)

TimCarey
    Participant

@timcarey

I don’t quite understand

modemlooper

@modemlooper

I’m creating a plugin that will be like Facebook notes. Not full blogging but a modified activity stream type thing for longer posts than status updates.

Nahum
    Participant

@nahummadrid

Don’t forget the author.php. I use it in the most creative ways! As mentioned above you can use Gforms for frontend posting, or even allow your subscribers only access to Writing Post admin page only and then display the users’ “blog” posts on their author.php page (yoursite.com/author/username).

You could even embed the gform in the author.php for loggedin authors and display posts for logged out. You can go as far as customizing that author.php template to add the parts of the buddypress member profile, (I think you can replicate the entire member profile on there if you really wanted to) and voila you have user blogs without multisite and blog within user profile. Heck you could even make the author.php template very blog like and include a dedicated sidebar and widgets that only pertain to that author. It takes some..(alot of) tweaking but it’s doable, so good luck!

VirtualityStudio

@virtualityreiki

ooh! awesome, sounds just like what I need to do! thanks so much!!!!!

rsm08

@rsm08

To continue on the thought that VirtualityReiki started this thread with.. I too would like to give users the ability to have a blog, but I think it’s way overkill to give each user a fully fledged WP site, as if I was running my own wordpress.com.

I think multi-site is more suited for sites that actually want to do what wordpress.com does – give people an actual stand-alone blog website. For community sites that use WP not as a blogging platform but as a CMS, a simpler blog system where a blog is an embedded part of the site just like groups or forums will be more suited and more engaging, because everything is kept on the main site where we want to keep our users.

Multi-site seems to me to be a lot of hassle. Just the fact that it creates several database tables for EACH BLOG is to me just madness.

So does anyone know if there is a simpler blog plugin out there that will create user blogs on a non multi-site setup by just using a custom post type?

Calvin Powers
    Participant

@cspowers

Greetings all,
    I am new to WordPress and BuddyPress. (The first version of WP I ever installed was 3.0.x!) and I am very very confused about how to give each BP user a “blog” of their own.

I’ve been digging through the instructions for multisite and it seems like way overkill for what I want to do.

http://www.nodepression.com is a good example of what I’d like to do. From an end user perspective, I can go to a page that is “my blog”. But as far as I can tell, it’s just an “all posts” page with a ?author=idnum parameter on the end of it. For example, my “blog” in nodepression.com is located at:
    http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/blog/list?user=37d8c5io9r1pq

Just based on hacking around the site, it appears that they are using buddy press, and ucanpost and have disabled the admin bar. So the only way to post is through the ucanpost editor.

Does BuddyPress have a “user blog” type of capability or is the “blog” concept on the ND site just a set of highly customized templates?

Paul Wong-Gibbs
    Keymaster

@djpaul

Don’t know the site, but there’s only two good options. One is to enable multisite with a custom theme for each blog so that it *looks* like the same site (as your main site). Second is to only use the one blog (no multisite) and set each user up as an author. Those people could use the wp-admin interface to blog, or you could create your own posting form, or use gravity forms which has this feature.

If you used the one blog technique, you’d have to make sure your WordPress post loops only pulled out stuff written by I.e. The admin account. You could then get your PHP hat on and then write a new panel for their BP user profile which would basically do its own post loop but for that specific user ID.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘user blogs without multisite’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar