Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WordPress Profile vs BP X-Profile

• youngmicroserf
    Participant

@youngmicroserf

I’ve been playing around with my Buddypress installation, trying to understand the system. One thing I don’t really understand is the concept behind the WP vs. BP profiles. I understand that BP profiles are public and WP profile fields are private, and that some information, like the main account email is mirrored between the two. I suppose that back when BP was born there wasn’t much to do with the WP profile information, but now there are appparently core functions allowing the extension of the standard profile fields. Since the BP-members are necessarily WP members, I think that the user management should be integrated, with BP-xprofiles offering a front end UI fpr profile editing and a way to make the information public.

So, basically, I guess my question is – does anyone know of documents explaing how and why the current x-profile/WP-structure is done the way it is, and, possibly, how it is done in a bit more detailed way. I couldn’t find anything.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• youngmicroserf
    Participant

@youngmicroserf

No one has any additional info on the profile integration?

ovizii
    Participant

@ovizii

same question here! just started with BuddyPress and this was one of my first questions.

tsalagi_red
    Participant

@tsalagi_red

Add me to that question also. I have been playing around with this for some time trying to figure out how I can integrate the two separate profile systems. Is there a reason for the redundancy? I am particularly worried that people will change their “Website” field in the WordPress profile, messing up the link which Buddypress uses. I don’t want to disable the user profile on WordPress, but it is definitely a problem.

Ehegwer
    Participant

@ehegwer

Why not just add a website profile to the BP side, and forget about (turn off) the WP side?

kimi.keith
    Participant

@kimikeith

Please add me to this question too!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘WordPress Profile vs BP X-Profile’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar