Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can’t install Buddypress coz of memory limit on my server. WHAT TO DO???

• Ozcar
    Participant

@ozcar

I’m trying to install Buddypress. When clicking “activate”, I get this error message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 19456 bytes) in /httpd.www/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-xprofile.php on line 923

I understand exactly what it means. I see that many people on the support forum have similar issues. I have kindly asked my host, but they will not increase the memory limit!

So now I kindly ask Buddypress developers: any chance you could reduce the memory usage? I bet that many hosting companies won’t allow a higher memory limit. 32mb is quite a lot of memory.

1. Which version of WP/MU are you running?
    WordPress 2.9.2

2. Did you install WP/MU as a directory or subdomain install?
    Directory

3. If a directory install, is it in root or in a subdirectory?
    Root

4. Did you upgraded from a previous version of WP/MU? If so, from which version?
    Have upgraded many times. Don’t remember which wordpress version was the original install… maybe 2.8

5. Was WP/MU functioning properly before installing/upgrading BuddyPress (BP)? e.g. permalinks, creating a new post, commenting.
    Yes

6. Which version of BP are you running?

7. Did you upgraded from a previous version of BP? If so, from which version?
    No

8. Do you have any plugins other than BuddyPress installed and activated?
    Yes, many.

9. Are you using the standard BuddyPress themes or customized themes?
    A custom theme

10. Have you modified the core files in any way?
    No

11. Do you have any custom functions in bp-custom.php?
    No

12. If running bbPress, which version? Or did your BuddyPress install come with a copy of bbPress built-in?
    Not running bbPress

13. Please provide a list of any errors in your server’s log files.
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 19456 bytes) in /httpd.www/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-xprofile.php on line 923

14. Which company provides your hosting?
    http://www.one.com/

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

Actually 32 isn’t all that much. You’ll need more than that just running WP and say NextGEN Gallery (which is a gallery plugin). Now, the more plugins you have the higher your memory usage will be. I have 64mb on all my sites…

S
    Participant

@sushkov

If you use localized version (`define (‘WPLANG’, ‘whatever_ROCKS’);`), comment it. Localization catalogs uses a lot of memory.

Ozcar
    Participant

@ozcar

How will these answers help me? Ok. You got an opinion on how much memory is too much or not, but it’s not the issue here.

I use WP with lots of plugins and a PhpBB forum and a couple flashbanners and stuff on that site, everything runs pretty smoothly and my site is quite fast…

Yeah, ofcourse I’d prefer more memory, it wouldn’t hurt! But the problem is not that I have the memory but I think it’s too much so I don’t want to install buddypress, it’s my server host who won’t increase it. That’s the limit, no matter how much I complain.
    I’m not saying that pressbuddy is no good eighter, once I discovered it I realized that I HAVE TO HAVE IT on my site, this is exactly what I’ve been looking for! But as it is I can’t istall it and it hurts.
    So I checked around a little and noticed that not too many hosts offer 64mb eighter… and all I’m saying is if wordpress runs smoothly on 32mb, possibly buddypress too…

And I’m not looking for tips on “where to find a better server host who offer 64mb memory”, i’m looking for a way around this problem without having to move to another server host, thank you.

There are better ways of expressing the sentiments in your last post :) read it back to yourself. :)

BP and WPMU are not apps I would consider running on what I presume is shared hosting, in fact if I had a shared hosting account trotting along nicely and I found out that the host was allowing people to run sites built on BP I would be off like a shot rather than hang around waiting for the inevitable server loads to become intolerable. I agree 64MB is a lot of script memory for php to need but the fact that WP might run in 32MB is neither here nor there BP is a much more intensive app, more than simply a plugin extension or WP. HAving said all that I maintain my own linux VDS for testing various work and sites on and that has the script memory limit set to 32MB and is happily running a full installation of WPMU + BP and a few plugins, it isn’t a active site though and it’s a dedicated server not shared hosting with many accounts consuming resources which I would guess is why you are immediately running into issues.

BP is best run on a dedicated server or virtual dedicated, that sadly is about all that can be said n the matter, perhaps not ideal from your point of view, but why not change to a VDS? they can be found for a good monthly price.

Ozcar
    Participant

@ozcar

I’m sure there are, i was in a hurry and i really didn’t want this tread to be a discussion about how much memory is “alot” or not.

Anyway, i checked dedicated server thing and that would mean that my server hosting costs will increase at least x12! :/ that’s not optimal for me eighter. But i’ll look further for other solutions, thanks!

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

You could try disabling a few BP components from the WP admin area. Login to the WP dashboard and navigate to “BuddyPress > Component setup”. Disable features that you will not need.

The alternative is you could perhaps use a different WP social networking plugin like Mingle… that might use less memory.
    Probably not what you wanted to hear!

Ozcar
    Participant

@ozcar

Thanks r-a-y hadn’t heard of Mingle before, looks allright but not as cool as BP though, besides I wanna replace my Phpbb board with bbpress and that comes along with BP if i understood it correct? We’ve been looking for solutions like wp-united.com and even tried that once but couldn’t make it work, too many bugs… if i can run a forum and administer it within wordpress like everything else, that’s what I’d like to do.

How do you mean disable futures in setup? The problem I’m having with 32MB memory limit is that I can’t even start the setup, if i could get through it, there’s a chance the installation would work anyhow…. at least that’s what we (me and my programmer) think…

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Are you able to access the WP admin area?

If not, disable every single plugin you have except for BP, then attempt to disable some BP components.

Ozcar
    Participant

@ozcar

oh yeah, i have no problem running WP at all! It’s just that I can’t activate BP.

And as r-a-y suggested have you tried disabling all other plugins?

Ozcar
    Participant

@ozcar

yes! that worked!! :)

Activation went smooth and then I re-activated the other plugins. After that I installed bbpress and that worked as well… but NOW most of the pages in the admin panel (such as plugins, posts, pages, media… ) are just blank. ;/ i guess i pushed my luck there and should have activated one plugin at a time… any suggestions anyone?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Can’t install Buddypress coz of memory limit on my server. WHAT TO DO???’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar