Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Confused about multisite install

• noxdineen

@noxdineen

When I started working with WP/BP (3.0.5 and 1.2.? respectively) I was able to set my “main” site as a BP-powered social network, but also let users create normal WP blogs as per a typical WP multisite installation.

I just did a fresh install of 3.1 and 1.2.8 on a test server, and it looks like my only activation option for Buddypress is a network install? Does this mean everybody that has their own site will also have a BP-powered site?

Is there any way I can have a BP powered hub and still provide users with a normal, simple blog to use?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Mike
    Participant

@suchaqd

Yes, you can still create normal WP sites like always and, yes, they will be *BP-enabled* so to speak. It doesn’t mean that your new site owner will see the difference on the front- and back-end, aside from the BP admin bar, which you can disable in you wp-config.php file by adding this line — define ( ‘BP_DISABLE_ADMIN_BAR’, true );

I actually also disabled the new WP Admin bar, as well, and just created a custom BP menu for my main BP site in the root, so that there’s a very distinct separation between main vs. sub-blog sites. Anyway, hope this helps!

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

=== my only activation option for Buddypress is a network install? Does this mean everybody that has their own site will also have a BP-powered site? ===

BP is Network install but that does not mean that each site owner will also have a BP-powered site. There is only one instance of BP in a multisite installation, it just gathers data network-wide.

Mike
    Participant

@suchaqd

Sorry, yes. Should’ve clarified my answer above. Only one instance of BP per WP/MS like @mercime said.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Confused about multisite install’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar