Search
Bottom

Problem installing Buddypress 1.29 on OS X Lion using Mamp Pro

• Hi there – here is the setup I am using:

OS X Lion 10.7
    Wordpress 3.2.1
    Buddypress 1.29
    Mamp Pro 2.0.1

I can install WordPress just fine as I always do, and the other local sites I have installed are running fine.

I can download and install the Buddypress plugin both manually and via the build in mechanism in WordPress. As soon as I activate the plugin I get a HTTP Error 500 and the page cannot be loaded. From then on I cannot get to the /wp-admin page until I remove the plugin again.

Any thoughts?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • that is buddypress 1.2.9 of course – could not edit the topic

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

What is your permalink setting? Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks

I use MAMP on my own machine, but I don’t use the default settings. I wrote a post about it some time ago, where you can read more about how I configure it: http://teleogistic.net/2010/05/setting-up-a-wordpressbuddypress-development-environment-on-os-x/ In particular, you might be having a problem related to your hosts file, or maybe the Apache port settings. (I’m stabbing in the dark a bit here :) )

n0ise
    Participant

@n0ise

I’m using it:
    MAMP Version 1.9.6 (1.9.6)
    OS X Lion 10.7
    Wordpress 3.2.1
    Buddypress 1.29

with default settings and it works.
    Did u tried to set permissions to the bp folder?

I downgraded to MAMP 1.9.6.1 and now it seems to work.

I have the same setup as you and when I activated buddypress, I am no longer able to access my wordpress dashboard. I am new to all of this, so maybe I am just missing something. Any ideas/tips for me? Thank you!

calvinhsu
    Participant

@calvinhsu

Same problem with MAMP Pro 2.0.1 on Lion. WP works but activating BP leads to error.

Redownloading 1.9.6.1 now…

calvinhsu
    Participant

@calvinhsu

19.6.1 works

2.0.1 gives following error log:
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1000 bytes) in /Users/Calvin/Sites/wordpress/hezii_dev/wp-includes/pomo/entry.php on line 204

Buddypress as far as I have found can run in MAMP, and here’s how I have been able to do it (may not work for everyone).
    *In the MAMP directory (using finder) right click the htdocs folder > Get Info > now what I done was to set all users – myself, _www & everyone to full read & Write, I also ticked the ‘Shared folder’ and then set it to ‘Apply to enclosed items’ by way of the settings (cog wheel at bottom) to do that you will need to unlock and enter your system admin password – you may have to be logged in on the system as admin to do this.
    This will allow WP/BP to be able to write to your .htaccess file.
    You should then be able to set your permalink to anything but the default to allow BP to work.

However… Those of us who use Dreamweaver have found issues – Dreamweaver (CS 5.5 anyway) cannot handle WP sites using anything but the default permalink structure.
    So if you want to run a WP/BP site on MAMP and edit with Dreamweaver you are kinda snookered either way.

Unless someone has any ideas??

*not everyone will want to or should set directories to full access like this and may cause a security issue on your system, I take no responsibility for problems incurred by anyone doing this – it’s just what works for me, but I am on a safe network.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Problem installing Buddypress 1.29 on OS X Lion using Mamp Pro’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar