Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Buddypress “Under Construction” for users/vistors ???

• yocalif
    Participant

@yocalif

I’m working on my buddypress site, I need a way to redirect site members/users or vistors to a Under Construction page. On other sites I have done, I would simply have a Under Construction “index.html” or “index.php”, or change the .htacess using a redirect. But since I am total WP/BP noob I have no clue if I make any of those changes would I still have a properly functioning WPMU/BP site, looking at the .htacess file I don’t think so.
    I did see one or two WP plug-ins for “under construction” however I again have no clue how they would affect BP or my WPMU/BP install in general?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

An index.html is fine, just go to http://yoursite.com/index.php to reach front page. Bad thing is that if someone knows your site is WP/BP, they would just go to http://yoursite.com/members , /groups/ or /about/ and they could see the pages if you’ve enabled the components.
    Maintenance Mode plugin works with WP/MU/BP. Thing is, it interferes with media uploads via BP plugins like BP Gallery or BP Album but it doesn’t interfere with media uploads via Post/Page panel. Good thing with this is that even if outsiders try to access site via http://yoursite.com/members etc, they won’t be able see the page/s and get redirected back to Maintenance Mode front page.

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@yocalif

You could try this plugin: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-coming-soon-page/

It has options to allow visitors to subscribe via email, link to your Twitter/Facebook pages, launch date countdown…

yocalif
    Participant

@yocalif

The source..

How To Set Up A WordPress “Under Construction” Environment

The following technique works with WordPress installed on your production server and shows everyone a “Under Construction/Under Maintenance” page while you and only you can see the site as if it were live.

Rename index.php

Open up the root folder of your WordPress installation and locate the index.php file. Rename this file to index_wp.php. Don’t worry, we’ll be loading this file later.

Create a new index.php file

Fire up your favorite code editor and create a new file called index.php and save it on the root folder of your WordPress installation.

Paste the following code, besure and save the file, now upload the new index.php to your server.

Click Image to copy code text.

I still can’t figure out how to post code, tried "code tags", "pre tags", "text area tag in form", would appreciate some help on this that works.

Another place you can copy the code.

Open your site

If you have correctly performed the previous steps you should have a WordPress installation with a custom index.php file and a index_wp.php file, both on your root installation folder. Open up your home URL and you should see your “Under Construction” page. Whoo Hoo! now everyone is seeing this page. But now we need to continue development or perhaps show our clients the current progress on their site. Head on to your browser’s address bar and type this after your home URL.

/?uc=true&pwd=123456

A fully functioning WordPress installation visible only to you during the complete length of your session. No redirects, no rerouting, no separate development and production folders. The code starts the session engine and looks for two variables sent as GET. The first variable is ‘uc’ (short for Under Construction). If this variable is set with any value then the var ‘pwd’ is checked to see if it matches the hard coded password. If these conditions are met a session variable is set to include the index_wp.php during the complete length of that session. If the conditions don’t match then the current session is forwarded to the “Under Construction/Under Maintenace” page and the WordPress installation never gets loaded.

Set your own password

On line 06 in the new index.php change "123456" to set a your own password.   i.e. "00cz942ab".

Besure to upload and replace the initial "under construction" index.php, with your new password version.

To end the development session type:   /?stop=true

The development session will be closed and you’ll be back on the “Under Construction” page.

Redeploy or Open your website for users

simply rename the new index.php file to index_uc.php and then rename the index_wp.php file to index.php. If you ever need to set your website in a “Under Construction/Under Maintenace” state, simply rename the files and your done!

Hopefully you find this Under Construction hack useful, it was created by: Juan Camilo Estela

? what do you not get about the code snippet you pasted, what exactly is the stumbling block?
    edit/ oh you mean pasting code into this site? so this example was posted in case useful.

Was the plugin pcwriter mentioned no good?

If you want an even simpler but far from foolproof approach simply use the super global $_SERVER to run a check on the IP and allow the page to run if matching to a set IP or ELSE return a simple html under construction page. Of course this relies on you having a fixed IP

yocalif
    Participant

@yocalif

I had read there may be some issues with the plugin that interfer with some aspects of operating the site, not sure its been a few days. I happened across this simple way of tackling the problem, it took all of 5 minutes to do, and has worked so far. I now have a bp test site setup, so I can test the plug in.

So I really appreciate the negative feed back, it was just a simple sharing of another way to tackle the problem

It appears a good way, worth posting up.

Negative feedback? what in general or are you referring to my post which wasn’t intended as anything negative.

intimez
    Participant

@intimez

computergenius
    Participant

@computergenius

Whilst I am getting new sites on-line, I often make the root folder, (public_html), password protected via cpanel.

I call the folder “Site Closed for Development”, so visitors get a pop-up with that text on it, asking for user name and password that only I have, although I can give it to anyone needing to view and approve the site

Crude, but very effective.

vee_bee
    Participant

@vee_bee

Nice easy way to do it via .htaccess.
    This can even allow you to have specific site testers also who can use the site.
    V

# redirect all visitors to alternate site but retain full access for you
    ErrorDocument 403 http://www.yoursite.com.au/alternate-page
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from ip.address.of.user

Sofian J. Anom
    Participant

@lightcapturer

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Buddypress “Under Construction” for users/vistors ???’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar