Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Noob questions?

• yocalif
    Participant

@yocalif

• Why when I log into buddypress.org am I automatically taken to my profile instead of either staying on the page I’m already viewing or taken to the front page? How can I change this?

• I have tried multiple time to upload an Avatar here at bp.org and always get this error msg.
    “There was an error handling that image, please try again.”

• I have stated I’m a wp/bp noob, my previous sites were forum or cms sites using phpbb3 or SMF, or joomla, so I am super frustrated with bp forums no bbcode, no preview, no easy way to add categories or subcategories? Here at bp.org how do I quote someone, or post an image , or post a link?

• How do I know if plugins will work with the latest version of BP 1.2.4.1 if the plug-in show (Requires: 2.9.1 BP 1.2)?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• LPH2005
    Participant

@lph2005

• Why when I log into buddypress.org am I automatically taken to my profile instead of either staying on the page I’m already viewing or taken to the front page? How can I change this?

>> I don’t know of a way because this is up to the theme designer and bp.org theme is set this way. The default theme is not.

• I have tried multiple time to upload an Avatar here at bp.org and always get this error msg.
    “There was an error handling that image, please try again.”

>> Yes. This is a pita. I use images *not* square and this works.

• I have stated I’m a wp/bp noob, my previous sites were forum or cms sites using phpbb3 or SMF, or joomla, so I am super frustrated with bp forums no bbcode, no preview, no easy way to add categories or subcategories? Here at bp.org how do I quote someone, or post an image , or post a link?

>> Again, bbpress installation on bp.org is default. On your own installation you can add plugins to a “my-plugins” directory under wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bbpress

>> A better solution on your own installation is to install the buddypress plugins for the forums (such as Forum Attachments for BuddyPress).

Update:
    I decided to try to post with an inline image and it worked.
    http://www.thechembook.com/groups/announcements/forum/topic/test-of-inline-images/

Example for this site:

• How do I know if plugins will work with the latest version of BP 1.2.4.1 if the plug-in show (Requires: 2.9.1 BP 1.2)?

>> Hopefully you have a test environment and are not trying to change things on a live site. Otherwise, have backups and try the plugin. If it fails then there is a process to go through to remove the plugin.

The best part of the buddypress.org site is the support given by other people using the product.

yocalif
    Participant

@yocalif

Thanks for making the effort.
    About login and arriving at profile. The fact that this is bp.org and that is the way it is set is a poor example. The site owners should take a little pride in trying to get the site to operate normally.

Avatar, I have tried both avatars and reg. pics as in .jpg or .jpeg both don’t work. Is there a certain size ?x? or file name extension? pita? What is that?

As a person who really likes forums like phpBB3 or VB or SMF, honestly to call bbpress as offered thru buddypresss a forum is like calling a push cart a car. Posts may be displayed, but that is about it, there is no built in editor, none of the common features associated with forums either for the user or for the bp admin, and I know most agree. Yes plugins can extend the functionality, however is that really the route to go? Everytime there is a BP update who insures that the features and function a plugin provides will still work. Having a site built on 50 plugins has to be a nightmare when either a version patch or major update is released.

Ok the test bed is the answer, and backups. With other sites that I have (using other software not BP, I usually do a sql dump and backup all the files that are changed. I have been installing plugins through the admin plugin wizard, so I quess I need backup all the site files or download the plugin files and then backup the common files to the site.

sorry for whining, I know in a couple of weeks much will seem normal, but there is a lot of head scratching with BP.

Just noticed the image !

giving it a try
    img src=”http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/4856/allinoobkidknife.jpg” hmmmm

LPH2005 how did you get the image to work, and to get the url to show as a link?

LPH2005
    Participant

@lph2005

@yocalif

Yes, BP takes time to learn. I’ve been working with it for a few weeks and discover something new every day. This support forum is checked all of the time and I try to follow answers given by several key people.

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/4856/allinoobkidknife.jpg doesn’t appear to be an image. So, first, find an image and use the html img tag (See http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_IMG.asp ). You can even use the height restriction to limit the size of the image.

In terms of links, simply add the full URL into the post and it is automatically converted to a link. (See http://www.iusmentis.com/technology/www/relativeurls/ ).

yocalif
    Participant

@yocalif

I don’t know why I didn’t just try to use the html tag, I read your link and it shows an open expression
    http://www.thechembook.com/groups/announcements/forum/topic/test-of-inline-images/

maybe that is why the image is representative of me…….

• As for trying to setup an avatar on buddypress.org, after selecting my avatar pic and clicking on upload, I get a blank page. yesterday and before I would get an error message. I have tried setting up the same avatar on my BP test site and it works fine, after upload the crop image thing loads and the image saves as an avatar fine.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Noob questions?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar