Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Thinking for switching from phpBB

• roxics
    Participant

@roxics

Hey everyone. I run a PhpBB forum right now that has a decent amount of activity. But it’s an older install of phpBB 2 and I’m looking to update the site in general. It’s looking and feeling really old. The internet and the way people use it has sort of changed since my community first went up and I’m looking to do something new with it.

I don’t want it to just be a message board anymore. I’m looking to turn it into a small social network where members can stay more connected and even start their own blogs. So I’m looking at Buddypress as I use wordpress on several of my other personal sites.

But I’m curious, is there a way to take my members and phpBB message posts and bring them into a new buddypress installation? I kinda like the messageboard here and wouldn’t mind giving up the phpBB to switch to it. I just don’t want to lose all the old messageboard posts and make my members sign up all over again.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• nicolagreco
    Participant

@nicolagreco

I don’t know if some bridge exists, you should search on google

‘bbpress phpbb bridge’ or ‘wordpress phpbb bridge’

if exists you could share users with wp and create a new community without loosing the old one

For the forum, you’d need to investigate phpbb2 importers for bbPress, which is the name of the forum component.

I had a quickish google but I couldn’t find any importers that looked up to date. Do let us know if you find any

OCS Foundation CTO
    Participant

@ocs-foundation-cto

There is a phpBB3 WP Bridge that works really well but as far as I can tell it will not play well with BuddyPress. At least I have not yet gotten it to work.

You might want to wait on migrating. From what I remember one of the developers when he was talking about future integration, he stated that Buddypress was going to start moving toward using BBpress and implementing its features rather than its own stand-alone forum service.

BuddyPress has always used bbPress; you mean to refer to version 2.0, the plugin, of bbPress. BuddyPress 1.5 and bbPress 2.0 work together just fine, and we’ll complete the integration in BuddyPress 1.6.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Thinking for switching from phpBB’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar