Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Invite Friends From Profile

• gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

It would be great to give members the ability to invite non-members to view their profile and possibly join the community. Right now, there is a way to do it from the Dashboard, but it would be much easier and more intuitive to be able to send an invite from your profile page.

Thanks

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • I was looking for same.

Could it be possible to have something like Facebook or Badoo does ? importing contacts from email addresses ?

Giovanni Caputo
    Participant

@giocaputo

I have developed this plugin : Invite-friends. But now it not work with last version of bp. i will fix it !!!! sorry

abcde666
    Participant

@erich73

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

@erich73 invite anyone works okay for inviting existing members to join your group. The problem is that, when you get to a few hundred members, the list gets overwhelming.

Giovanni’s Invite Friends plugin would be great if it was updated to work with 1.2.

zestylemon

@zestylemon

Looking forward to Giovanni’s updated plugin.

Giovanni: any idea on when you’re likely to release an updated version?

gpo1
    Participant

@gpo1

Awaiting for this feature from profile page for easy invite…

Phil Meyer
    Participant

@philmeyer

Also awaiting this plugin with baited breath! Wish i could say I’d help, but I would probably break it even more! :)

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Gee whiz, there’s a lot of clamoring for this kind of plugin!

Building an invite-via-email plugin is pretty high on my development list – probably within the next month or so – but before I start I’d be interested in gauging how people think it should work. Gpo1 says that it should be from a profile page. My own feeling is that it’s more of a group-centric thing – I might be part of a group and I know others would enjoy the group, so I’d want to invite from there. Could be in both places, I suppose.

My plan is to make inviters able to select a certain number of groups when inviting someone, and when the invitee registers, invites will be sent for those groups.

Things like FB, Twitter, Gmail contact harvesters would come later.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Boone

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Boone,

Because the Profile page is kind of a central hub – with spokes out for blogs, groups, activity, links, etc – it makes sense to me that this is the page that members would want their friends to check out.

Of course, I can see members wanting to invite friends to check out a group as well…

Sounds like 2 plugins?

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Two plugins is probably overkill. Maybe I’ll build both a group interface (as part of the Send Invites screen) and a profile interface (probably just a button from the profile that goes to a generic invitation screen) and have them both togglable by sitewide admins.

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Cool. I’m really excited for this!

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Boone,

one request…make the button text customizable.

Some networks might want friends, others colleagues, etc.

Peter Anselmo
    Participant

@peteranselmo

@Boone,

I just finished something similar for a client. They wanted group admins to be able to invite people to their group via email.

My plugin adds a text field below the standard group “invite friends” section for an email address. It then sends a message via email to the person, guiding them to the site registration page. It also tracks their email address to the group they were invited to. When the new user registers, it skips the whole send-and-approve-group-invite step; they are automatically added to the group.

Let me know if it sounds like there’s overlap, I’d be happy to post code or whatever.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Hey Peter – that sounds not only like overlap, it sounds like total duplication! If you can post code or send to my gmail (my bp.org username at gmail) it would be awesome. If I can merge the two, we could share credit on the plugin repo.

Peter Anselmo
    Participant

@peteranselmo

@Boone

You have mail.

Giovanni Caputo
    Participant

@giocaputo

i will fix my plugin from 1 april 2010. i will make it usable on worpdpress mu + buddypress, wordpress + bp and wordpress…

Sorry

kriskl
    Participant

@kriskl

Is there any chance to develop a plugin that would

Let users invite to the site/social network

all contacts from his address book? or from gmail contacts etc?

so, this plugin is not about connecting with people already on the site, but to invite all his friends outside of the network to join .

kind regards

Kris

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

I don’t think this needs to be too complicated. Even just a version of dev-premium’s “send invites” plugin, where people can invited anyone they want from their dashboard.

All it needs is a field to manually enter email addresses (facebook sharing could happen later) and a place to type a message…with maybe a default “come check out my _______ profile”

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

gregfielding – I think you’re right that it doesn’t have to be complicated, but putting it in the Dashboard is a no-no for me at least, as most of my users aren’t using the Dashboard for anything. Better to have it somewhere on the front end.

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

@Boone – my bad.

I agree the whole point is to have it on the profile page. I only meant to say that automatically pulling contacts from facebook or email accounts sounds complicated…a great option for someday…but not necessary from the get-go.

thanks!

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Agree 100%, Greg!

Hugo Ashmore
    Keymaster

@hnla

There is another thread on this subject, the ability to invite friends to join the network is essential, it helps grow the community, it needs to be very simple BUT used from the members account area NOT dashboard, and definitely not this notion of pulling contacts from every social network the member has or will ever be a member of, it’s too fiddly.

SN such as Ning have this ability and it’s raised to me as lacking in BP by users/members that we migrated from a Ning network they are perplexed as to why the feature doesn’t exist.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

hnla – If I read the thread above correctly (my posts, at least), it sounds like no one disagrees with you that it is important. Anything I end up developing will not have contact harvesters at first, and if it has them later then they will be able to be disabled by the sitewide admin.

kriskl
    Participant

@kriskl

there is the invite friends plugin here: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/invitefriends-plug-in/

but it has not been updated for some time :(

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • The topic ‘Invite Friends From Profile’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar