Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

[Resolved] Profile Privacy and Directory Browsing

Inactive

This is more or less a plea to the BuddyPress development team. I really believe you should make it a priority to make the next version of BuddyPress address the lack of profile privacy options above any other changes you may have planned in the future. Cosmetic changes are not that important because most people with any real BuddPress experience will more than likely be using a child theme to customize the cosmetics of the site to their liking. This change should be integrated into the BuddyPress default core because it is the only real way to make BuddyPress a viable choice for membership only social netwoking. BuddyPress is really a well developed plugin for WordPress and I know it is about being social, but the end user should have the ultimate choice in whether or not their profiles or site activity are view-able to the logged in members(public) or just their friends(private). This should be standard feature in buddypress without being dependent on plugins. When I say public or private, I mean that all members should have to be logged first before even given the option to view another members profile, maybe a landing page integration built into BuddyPress core that redirects any visitor the the landing page when attempting to view any post or page on the site. In my opinion just because a new user activated account there should still be options in the core to keep their profile accessible to only members they are friends with etc. I am not saying to jump the gun and make every single Profile field either view-able or not depending on friendship. Just a simple choice to display or not to display your profile to people you are not friends with. In other words the options in @modemlooper‘s BuddyPress Profile Privacy plugin functionality should be integrated into the BuddyPress default settings without dependency on a plugin. Privacy of the end user seems to be a determining factor in whether or not visitors decide to join/register on your site. Privacy options along with ACL built into BuddyPress right out of the box will put Buddypress in a whole new league for social network CMS choices. I also think the .htaccess file should contain the Options -Indexes code at default. Directory browsing should never be open by default. To me it is a security risk not include the Options -Indexes code in .htaccess at default. I would also like the buddybar and its links to somehow be integrated into a custom menu somehow. I would also like to see an option in the buddypress dashboard that will allow you to choose how many activity items are loaded.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Mary Jane

@jasonbrodbeckcom

YES YES YES! PLEASE buddypress we need privacyy i think expecialy for activity +10000!

David Carson
    Participant

@davidtcarson

I am not saying to jump the gun and make every single Profile field either view-able or not depending on friendship. Just a simple choice to display or not to display your profile to people you are not friends with.

Have you checked out the trunk for BP 1.6 lately? https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk

You’ll be pleasantly surprised. See https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/5789 for example.

all members should have to be logged first before even given the option to view another members profile, maybe a landing page integration built into BuddyPress core that redirects any visitor the the landing page when attempting to view any post or page on the site.

That’s different and already possible with a couple lines of code.

See https://buddypress.org/community/groups/how-to-and-troubleshooting/forum/topic/tasty-kitchen-member-privacy/

Inactive

Thanks David for the response. I understand that BuddyPress can almost do anything you want with some coding. My social network http://www.snaplist.net23.net has lots, and lots of custom code added to get the behavior I wanted. However, these features should be built directly into BuddyPress settings. There is a lot of people that just don’t know how to code in php . I can write code, but it would be nice to have these features right out of the box so the only thing I would really have to customize would be the layout and graphics.

Paul Wong-Gibbs
    Keymaster

@djpaul

You can test the profile field visibility options on http://testbp.org/

Prince Abiola Ogundipe
    Participant

@naijaping

@djpaul, i must say a big congratulions on this new built in profile privacy, some people dont want to use BP because of privacy issue. IMO , this profile privacy will make BP much more valuable.

Regards

Inactive

@djpaul, very impressive work! Thank you!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘[Resolved] Profile Privacy and Directory Browsing’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar