Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Taking Buddypress Offline onto a USB.

• joshuacrowley

@joshuacrowley

It’s a strange request, but if anyone has some advice as to how I can archive my Buddypress site onto a USB and keep it running off a local host/USB then I’d appreciate it. I’m assuming something like MAMP running on a USB, would be the best way to go- but any insight as to the problem i’ll encounter? I created a Buddypress community for an honours project and as part of the submission process I need to hand it in on a storage device so it can be archived, doesn’t need to be 100% functional.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

MAMP is needed if you’re using a Mac ;)

I would use a WAMP package unless your professor has a Mac, but yes, it is completely possible to have BuddyPress run locally off a USB stick.

First, you’d need to find a MAMP / WAMP / LAMP package that is portable.

Some portable WAMP packages can be found here:
    http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?sc=125

Once you have your WAMP server up, you’ll need to install WordPress / BuddyPress. Then, you’ll need to copy your theme files over as well as importing a database dump of your existing BP site.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

For XAMPP see 1 to 3 of this post plus:
    – Make extra effort of adding username and passwords for MySQL and phpMyAdmin instead of default.
    – Enable mod_rewrite – this article is great reference
    – Need to replace URL’s in DB – see this

joshuacrowley

@joshuacrowley

Hey thanks guys for the advice, you’ve de-stressed me, I was worried about this part of the project because it was an after thought. I’ll have a test on the weekend and let you know how i’ll go. Thank’s heaps.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Taking Buddypress Offline onto a USB.’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar