Forum Replies Created
Well, I’ve solved the problem – or, at least, what was causing MY problem – others may be having different issues.
Background: I originally set up this site in BP 1.6. When 1.7 came along and the old built-in forum system was deprecated, I installed bbPress 2.3 as instructed and it migrated all of my forums over to the new system.
So, I naturally assumed that all of the settings would be taken over too. I’ve just looked at the individual forums and have noticed that they have all had their Visibility set to Public, even though they are in Private or Hidden groups!
So, setting the visibility to what it should be has solved the problem.
HOWEVER, I do still consider there to be at least 3 bugs in the BuddyPress / bbPress software:
1. When the forums were converted from bbPress 1.x to 2.x they should have had their visibility set correctly.
2. The forums are all hosted within groups. Forums like this should respect the group’s Privacy settings.
3. Even if you should set a Public forum within a Private group, the posts should not appear in non-members’ activity feeds. The forum itself is not visitable, neither are its individual posts.
In theory if you set your group to “Private” or “Hidden” then non-group members are not supposed to be able to see the posts in that group’s bbForum.
However, and this is denied by the developers, I am experiencing a bug which is making all forum posts appear in the site-wide activity stream to all members, although when they click on the link they cannot view the post.
So, no, you’re not going crazy and yes, it is incredibly frustrating!
BuddyPress groups can’t have categories associated with them. My advice would be to just set up a different group for each island. You can make each group private to ensure that only members of that group can see the forum posts within.
Additionally, there is a plugin which will give groups hierarchies if you wanted to make it easier to group groups together (eg, if your islands are grouped geographically you could have a “north islands” group and a “south islands” group and within each group you would then have your individual islands groups).
Search for “BP Group Hierarchy”
Hope that helps
Update: bbPress 2.4 does not fix the bug!
Will there ever be a resolution to this problem? BP 1.8 with bbPress 2.3.2 on WP 3.6 still sees forum posts in Private groups appearing in non-group members’ activity streams!
Thanks but, like kraigg there, I am running bbPress 2.3.2 so this issue is very much not fixed!
I’ve just had the same problem. There’s a few steps I took to fix it, any one of them might have been the magic one, but taken together they solved the problem:
- Go to Settings > Forum and change the Default User Role to keymaster
- Tick Auto role
- Click Save Changes
- Set Default User Role back to Participant
- Click Save Changes
- If you have a user role editing plugin, go to it, or if not, install one
- Edit the Administrator role and make sure that Manage forums is applied (there might be others, so make sure that anything that sounds forum-related is also checked).
And that shoud (ha ha!) solve the problem.
Sorry, should have said first time round – I’m using a self-developed child of Buddypress Default theme. I only made a child theme because I needed some custom page templates for some non-BP related stuff. Everything BP-related is handled by BP Default.
I have tried it with the BP Default theme, and I have turned off all other plugins. I have even reinstalled the BP plugin.
I have now found the thing to turn the group forums (legacy) back on, but it makes no difference.
Thanks. Any thoughts or insights would be much appreciated.