Forum Replies Created
I did not want to nag you personally – I just was not sure, where to post – seems like the group is not private I posted to. SORRY if you feel offended. I did not have time to check back on this, after a few days of no answer I gave up. Also I did not get notification emails. Maybe I will test your import script this week one more time, but to be honest, I would rather like to spend the time creating my own import script, so I do not have to spend additional time with debugging yours Anyway, I thank you very much for your effort.
Thank you very much for your quick answer!!! Very important info!
Ok, I will take a look at your code and try to better understand what happens behind the curtains.
Have a nice day!
OK, so I am trying to understand, how this plugin works. As I see things now, it “hijacks” the capability upload_files (in my install it uses this as default) and attaches to this the ability to create a group – so this is very tricky, but wouldn´t it be better if there was a new capability create_group ??? Also there might be some other buddypress related actions and permissions that will fit very good into new capabilites.
I see there are some member and group management plugins, currently I am checking Role Scoper plugin, however I do not understand atm how buddypress groups and permissions are integrated or can be manipulated with this plugin. I wish there was more in depth documentation how buddypress realizes group permissions.
Groups and permissions are a central feature of every social software, so it should be tightly integrated into the core and easily understandable and accessible by users and admins, because problems with permissions will be problems with privacy of your users.
Ok so my question: how can I create a group “Guru” or “Tutor” with a clear definition of what is allowed or not allowed within buddypress?
Thanks again for your attention!
OK, thanks, got it! Another question follows up: as I see everybody can create forums – how can I restrict group creation to certain user roles?
As I can see in wp_user_roles there seems not to be any group_create capability – is it possible at all atm to restrict group creation? Thanks!
Yuo have to define “secure” on a technical level. SSL only secures the transport of bytes, that should work right out of the box with buddypress, you just need to upgrade you existing webserver configuration and get a SSL certificate. YOu can get free certs at cert.org.
However, this does not mean that the messages are encrypted – so content in your database will still be readable to anybody who has access to the database.
Hi Norman, first thank you for your script – I am trying to convert an smf installation to buddypress with it, but I have no success – hopefully anybody can give some hints? I have a few questions:
- How exactly do I have to proceed? I installed wp-mu, then via the plugin menu buddypress and smf-importer. The import seems to finish without errors, BUT I do not see any groups or forums at all! The link to /grous or /forum siple give a 404.
- I do not understand, if I need to install any forum separately? Do I need to install bbpress in another folder? Or does your import script generate some forum, but why is it not there?
- I do see however that there IS some data in the database that has been imported. But no way to see it on the side.
- Also many strings are beeing cut off, so title of groups and forums is corrupted.
- How can I debug this process? Is there any option to get some debug output?
- I s there a command line version of your importer or will it only run in WP context?
- Is there some technical documentation what exactly are you doing (yes, I know, use the source, Luke – but some hints will be helpful
- What exactly does this message mean and what can i do about it:
“Skipped 941 topics and 5075 posts due to missing users, boards or topics.”
How can I make it not to skip? or get some more infos which boards or users are missing? I do not think any users or boards are missing, btw…
- What if I want to use some more powerful forum? Which forum can I use and STILL have groups functionality?
THANK YOU very much for your attention!