Categories
Search
Bottom

0.1.9 alpha to nightly build

thekmen
    Participant

@thekmen

Hi @foxly,
    just to let you know that deleting my 0.1.9 alpha bp-album db tables, image & image cache directories, deactivating & reactivating the plugin sorted out all the issues I have seen so far.

re-uploaded albums using flash up-loader & all is working as expected including album thumbnail images.
    thanks for the great work.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@thekmen Try commenting on and favorite-ing images with several different users (that are friends of the media item owner). Then go look at the activity stream… ;)

^F^

thekmen
    Participant

@thekmen

looks good, noticed when editing pics, updated tags don’t save.
    when favoring an image, it displays in the activity stream as ‘user – image from the album album name’ but doesn’t state why it is in the activity stream, maybe ‘user favorited image from the album album name’ would work better?

Extended data, Lat & Lon seem to have test.com hard coded in rather than a useful service for mapping

after adding a comment to an image, the commenter’s avatar looks for fxly.ca/members/…avatar…

if any of large, medium, small image sizes are the same, can they be avoided in the links under the image? i.e. only show relevant size links?

fantastic work by the way.

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

Hint: with several different users … ;)

You favorite’d the image with the user that owns it. Try multiple users that are friends with the owner.

^F^

thekmen
    Participant

@thekmen

@foxly, pretty cool, tried with a different user & now see the …user… tagged this as a favorite under the image in the activity stream

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@thekmen And also note how the item’s owner can remove unwanted favorite tags. And that if the member tries to tag themselves again, their tag shows to *them* but not other members. Also, when you hit the maximum number of favorite tags to display (set in admin back end), it adds a user count.

^F^

thekmen
    Participant

@thekmen

@foxly need to play with the admin back end now that I have dropped db tables & done a fresh install, looking great so far.
    if the lat, lon could point to or even display a google map, i’d be delighted.

also need to fix the fxly.ca avarar image on comments, but other than that looking good.

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@thekmen I’ve already fixed almost every defect you posted. The changes will show up in tonight’s build.

As for lat/lon … that’s a *big* project. We have to write code that extracts GIS info from the EXIF fields in images, and its implemented differently in *every* camera. We also need to write code that finds things based on location. Eg: “find all images tagged with “female” within 25km of “london” ‘ sort of thing.

Give us a few weeks on that one .. :)

^F^

thekmen
    Participant

@thekmen

@foxly are you pulling the lat/lon data from EXIF or the Location input field?

paulhastings0
    Participant

@paulhastings0

@foxly and @francescolaffi are epic.

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@thekmen At the moment, neither. The location field is actually a tag that will be complimentary to the GIS data as is done on Facebook. On that website people enter things like “Bob’s Kitchen” and stuff as the location, and I don’t think that would map well to lat/lon values.

I have to plan out how the class will function and how the data merge will work.

I think the way we’ll end up doing it is to have the plugin automatically set the location from EXIF data (if it exists) and then the user can drag a marker on an embedded Google Map to set the lat/lon if they are unsatisfied with the automatically set location.

We also have to look at deliberately reducing the accuracy of the lat/lon data for privacy reasons if people wish. Because its so precise now, if you snap a picture in your kitchen with an iphone and the GPS tags it with a set of lat/lon coordinates and that gets imported by the plugin, then when somebody clicks on the Google Maps marker, it could very well zoom to a Google StreetView shot of the front of your house.

That could be upsetting. Especially if it was an adult-oriented picture … ;)

^F^

thekmen
    Participant

@thekmen

@foxly agree completely & delighted to see you take privacy seriously at this stage of the plugin.
    I don’t use facebook so don’t know how their photo uploads work.
    would a new option on uploading a pic work? i.e. add mapping checkbox, if a user checks it add from EXIF with the option to move marker. If no EXIF data for location exists, use the location field to guess location with dragable marker?

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@thekmen Basically we’d think-through the process, implement it in the best way we can think of, and provide configuration options for people to set it up differently.

As guidance you’d want it “on by default” and “private by default”. You don’t want users to have to perform an action to make the feature work, otherwise they won’t do it. But you also don’t want it to “creep out users by default”.

So something like: “Some of the pictures you uploaded have embedded GPS info. Would you like to: a) share this info with the community b) just share it with your friends c) keep it private”

^F^

thekmen
    Participant

@thekmen

@foxly sounds good & well thought out, go for it.
    just been sent a bunch of images I want to publish by a non member of the site, any chance of adding an extra field so I can credit the photographer by adding a twitter/website/FB link?

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@thekmen You will eventually be able to add arbitrary metadata fields to images, similar to the way extended member profiles work. But no, I’m not going to hard-code a field into the plugin, lol.

^F^

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.