Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

1.1.3 or 1.2?

• symm2112
    Participant

@symm2112

I’ve been working on converting our basic WP site over to WPMU/BP as an ongoing project for the last few weeks. I’ve been watching all the updates about the 1.2 Trunk as well as the merge and this has left me with a question.

If i’m just developing the site right now and learning everything, am I better off with 1.1.3 and upgrading or am I putting myself in a situation that I probably won’t be able to upgrade and will need to redo all themes/customization once 1.2 comes out? The problem is that right now, there are no custom 1.2 themes as everyone is waiting until it becomes more stable before working on them. This leaves me in a situation where I either have to wait several weeks for 1.2 to stabilize before I can even BEGIN on working on customization/features or do I keep working on 1.1.3 with the existing features that work and hope that they don’t break?

I’m talking about things like the bp-events plugin and Jeff’s privacy plugin. They work now on 1.1.3 but no one knows if they’re ever going to make it to 1.2 or 1.3. These are the situations that have me thinking.

Any thoughts anyone?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

You should absolutely wait till 1.2.. Most important factor is the completely rewritten Activty stream which adds SO much to the overall experience for your users. It’s the main reason why I’m “stlll” waiting to start working on the final design of my site!

Andy also mentioned that 1.2 will have backwards compatibility built in and 1.1 plugins should not break. At the moment they are not working because those functions are not yet in the trunk!

symm2112
    Participant

@symm2112

So is there anything that can really be done at the moment on your site? If you can’t work on themes because none are 1.2 compatible except for default right now, and plugins aren’t working because backwards compatibility isn’t there, can you do anything?

Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

Basically I’m thinking ahead as much as possible and doing the design in photoshop for my project. Besides that I’m constantly looking for plugins and hacks to get everything running as soon as BP 1.2 is released and pray that the almighty BP gurus are able to get their awesome plugins compatible with 1.2.

In the meantime I network with some people who know their stuff, work on some other non BP projects and actually try to spend some time AWAY from the computer :)

That’s basically what I’m doing, but I understand your frustration and right now you have to stay patient a little longer before you’ll get the payoff!

peterverkooijen
    Participant

@peterverkooijen

If you can wait a few months, you could wait, but by then everybody will be talking about BP 1.3 and WP/WPMU 3.0.

I tried to upgrade from version 1.0 to 1.2-bleeding edge and quickly ran into trouble. I’m now upgrading to 1.1.3, which already is costing me longer than I’d like.

But at least 1.1.3 is somewhat stable. If you’re actually going to use your site, there is a lot to be said for staying one generation behind.

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

Well, I’d say, get the latest trunk and start to code as much of the custom stuff as you can or get a developer to do it. As for themes, just pick one available right now (or just start from the new default one) and start to make it look the way you want it, do the wireframes, design, images, javascript and the css and you’ll be up and running in no time once 1.2’s out the door.

Keep a close look at what changes go into the trunk and update your theme once every couple days.

Andy said himself that after 1.2 there won’t be that many template changes…

Well… the new default theme for 1.2 works in 1.2 :-) I’ve been working on a child theme based off that for a couple of weeks now. It works great! Altho’ bp-events doesn’t work well with the new theme since bp-events uses the previous 1.1 template structure.

Andy also mentioned that 1.2 will have backwards compatibility built in and 1.1 plugins should not break. At the moment they are not working because those functions are not yet in the trunk!

Unless I’ve missed a post somewhere, what Andy was saying that at some point (maybe not for 1.2) all the deprecated theme and plugin code will be moved to a new (seperate) plugin. This will keep the BP core lean and mean, and allow anyone who wishes to use a plugin/theme that requires the deprecated features just by adding this extra plugin.

Just found https://buddypress.org/forums/topic/publishing-documets-to-a-group#post-32999 which I assume you may have been referring to. I’m sure themes will straightforward enough to provide back-compat for but again we’ll wait and see about comprehensive plugins (think ones that add new components or do serious heavy lifting). ;)

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Bowe may be referring to this …

The issues with white screens will probably be because I’ve removed all deprecated code from BuddyPress. I’ll be supplying a backwards compatibility plugin that can be enabled on a site so old code can be supported.

From testbp.org

Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

that’s right mercime, thx for clearing that up

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘1.1.3 or 1.2?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar